NorEast Fishing Forum banner

HELP PLEASE- GLENN MARINE REFUSES REFUND

6K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  plugger 
#1 ·
please help me! I waited since ny boat show for sea pro 22cc. dealer finally called last weekend and said boat was ready. we went to sea trial and did not like the way the boat rode, pounded and very long to plane. sales order written subject to refundable seatrial. dealer told me needs gas in boat to ride better!among other problems dealer registered warranty in march and said if i want to start warranty today i would have to pay for it. ordered boat with 2 spreader lights on was installed not using factory switch and he handed me another and said "here". also crack in gelcoat by cleat, what should i do to get my deposit back? On a happier note I took delivery of a MAKO 232CC LIMITED EDITION
Sunday. what a huge difference.No comparison. Irregardless of price!

#4 ·
Dont have to tell me the story I experienced it with Glenn Marine and have plenty of my own stories. Its been 4yrs and I still get angry. I had the same bogus "sales order written subject to refundable seatrial" in my contract. Plain and simple the dealer is a liar, doesnt deliver the boat when and how he promises. I spent a year fighting with Glenn over my new 21 Sea Pro, finally just took it to another dealer and paid for repairs even though it was under warranty with Glenn. The guy is a jerk. Smart move with the Mako, wish I had done the same.

#5 ·
Now you know why we have lawyers

If you have a lawyer, have him/her look at the contract. If the contract confirms what you have said, then I would think you would be due the refund. Maybe a tersely worded letter from your lawyer threatening possible action, along with sending a copy of that letter to the Office of Consumer Affairs and Better Business Bureau might get you your refund. I'm no lawyer, but it might be worth a try.

#6 ·
i'm in the car bussiness.it's the same as the boat business.he has a dealer lic from the motor vehicle dept. call the dmv and register a complaint and call the attorney general's office. all the others are mickey mouse. call now! tell them you expect help.be nice but firm bert1

#7 ·
By chance did you put your deposit on a credit card???

There have been quite a few guys over the last couple of months complaining about Glenn Marine. I know I didn't exactly have the best experience when I went there to look at the edgewaters, All told they lost the sale.

Good Luck.

#8 ·
Department of Motor Vehicles is the one organization that will get you positive action. All others just push paper around. I don't know how much money you are talking about, but one attempt at a solution is to request that you be able to use it towards merchandise and accessories.

#11 ·
If you dont want to hire a lawyer and the amount of money is less than 3,000 you can go to the small claims court in the County where the dealership is located. Ask for the clerks office and they will show you what to do. Small Claims is "Pro Se" that is you represent yourself and dont need to hire counsel. I am sure the dealership will respond with an attorney. File your claim under a "Breach of Contract" you'll get to Ct. and tell the Judge in your own words what happened. Save any receipts contracts correspondence checks and write a ledger of all contact and what happened. Also push the Ag's Office and the Counties Consumer Affairs BBB is fine to register a complaint but Spitzer's Office will light a fire under theitr ass.

#12 ·
Also if the amount is over 3K you can waive the excess and proceed up to the 3K. By the way if your deposit was only a few thousand most lawyers will charge a decent amount to fight the case or not take it at all especially if they do contingency fee work. My opinion is follow everyone else's advice and also proceed in Small Claims Ct.

#13 ·
If you dont want to hire a lawyer and the amount of money is less than 3,000 you can go to the small claims court in the County where the dealership is located. Ask for the clerks office and they will show you what to do. Small Claims is "Pro Se" that is you represent yourself and dont need to hire counsel. I am sure the dealership will respond with an attorney. File your claim under a "Breach of Contract" you'll get to Ct. and tell the Judge in your own words what happened. Save any receipts contracts correspondence checks and write a ledger of all contact and what happened. Also push the Ag's Office and the Counties Consumer Affairs BBB is fine to register a complaint but Spitzer's Office will light a fire under theitr ass.

#14 ·

#15 ·
Blue Ayes is exactly right. Your only hope might be small claims court. But even if you win, you may still wait a very long time to collect.

The NYS DMV has absolutely no authority to get involved with refund disputes. Just trying to call that agency is a total waste of time.

Prblmsslvd is also on the right track. If you paid by credit card, call that card company immediately. That's the first thing I would do. I know that if it is AMEX, they will credit your account first and ask questions later. Many times the merchants don't even realize that AMEX took back the funds. Other times they know they are wrong, so they just drop the issue.

The Better Business Bureau is another waste of time. They are nothing more than a dues-paying club/organization. The worst thing they can do is suspend the marina's membership (and that's if they are members).

HOWEVER, the New York State Department of Consumer Affairs has a toll free help line at 1-800-771-7755. It can't hurt to give them a call. That agency is run by the Attorney General's Office (currently Eliot Spitzer). You might get lucky with that office, especially if they already have a file of other documented complaints against the marina.

#17 ·
I will be the black sheep on this one.

It appears to me rehook had made up his mind about buying the Mako before the test run and went into the demo with the only purpose of getting out of the contract.

That is just what I got from his post.
but I have been wrong before.

Waveguide on the side

#18 ·
hey waveguide1

you are wrong about not wanting this boat, we waited almost 5 months for it and it was much less than the mako. If you saw a crack in the gelcoat, and the dealer rep told you it was a pencil mark, would that make you question their credibility? as far as the ride- the boat pounded and rattled as though there was alot of stuff loose. It was very longgg to plane, and the dealer told me I needed more weight from gas in the boat to make it ride better!the hull sides also vibrated excessively!and no we did'nt look into a mako or a parker or a c-hawk, or a boston whaler for that matter until after our sea-trial. taking into account that the whaler , the mako, and the parker were leftovers, we still wantewd a new current year boat. granted sea pro has made much improvement in the past years, the dealer has much to be desired!
A little bit of quality control regarding delivery, and an understanding of ride concerns, with an honest open mind would definately help.

#20 ·
Send a letter to NYS ATTORNEY GENERALS office, with copies of documents supporting your claim. Also send a copy of this letter to Glenn Marine so that they may see you are not dropping this. I have done this in the past with complaints I had and the got the results I should have gotten to begin with. If the Attorney General gets enough complaints they will investigate this company. They will contact them and Glenn Marine will have to answer them. Good Luck.. I hate it when people are taken advantage of.

#21 ·
Small Claims Court Tips

If you decide to go to court Don't make it easy for the bums. You can request night court in Hempstead. Then after you drag their asses down the first time you are entitled to one postponement for no reason whatsoever. Then they must appear again at a later date.

The Sea-Cilian

#23 ·
gell coat cracks

I thought about buying a SeaPro last year.When I enquired about them on the phone they told me that the fit and finish is comparable to a Pursuit. I looked at one in east moriches and one in copague I think they were both glenn marine. The one in east moriches had a big crack in the gell coat on top of the steering wheel.The salseman made it seem that it was normal not a big deal.
I wound up buying a Whaler.

#24 ·
probable solution

I Recommend you contact the manufacturer
and tell them of your story, stressing the shoddy treatment this dealer gave you. As a manufacturer myself, I would not put up with any dealer with the similiar situation. I would eventually cut them off if the practice were to continue with other end users, hurting them royally.

#25 ·
things to look out for!

thanks all for the input, and all others keep me informated of other possible avenues. I guess a big sign out front might get me arrested! well if anyone bought a boat with a yamaha from these guys at the ny show or before march15th be careful! they registered my warranty and my extended plan with an effective date of 3/14 in order to get the free 2yr EXT. SERV. PLAN from yamaha. eventhough the boat would not have been sold or delivered til june 8th. the dealer told me it was not their promotion so if i wanted the warranty to start when i closed on the boat i would have to pay for it. or call yamaha and ask for an extension, he said because yamaha could not supply enough motors. A BUNCH OF BU*****T. Since i called sea pro and they confirmed my order was built , shipped , and invoiced to my specs to Glenn Marine on 3/14. Best guess is they sold my original boat and kept putting me off til another one camein. STEER CLEAR OF GM!!!

#26 ·
Im haveing a problem with the dealership now. They are chargeing a surcharge for warrantee work. Vinnie in the service dept. is a good guy but unfortunately he works for a jerk. Accurate Marine in Bohemia is an authorised Yammi dealer and is very good to work with. They have a good service dept. and are very fair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.