NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I was out a few weeks ago

The day I was out fishing was very slow. They had a better trip a few days later. The problem is they are not getting out enough to get a good idea on how the fishing really is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I sailed yesterday, 12/22. Fishing was very good but all small fish. Was able to plug a Coleman 150qt with 5-8 lb. fish. No dogs. Water temp was 45. Boat was crowded with googins making for many tangles. All in all a nice day with SE wind for ride home.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I got out on Friday Dec, 28 and had a pretty good day under the conditions. Wind against tide all day , lines going under the boat and rough seas made for tough fishing and standing. I did pretty good when I was out of the cabin. I got sick for the first time in 17 years and it felt miserable. I tried to fight it off but felt sick most of the day. I think I sprayed a few guys down the side of the boat with a little overspray, but they said it made fishing even better for them. I guess that yellow vitamin water and pieces of bagel added more bait and flavor to the teasers and jigs. Anyway I fished about 2-3 hours out of the day and we still ended up with 68 keepers plus and load of shorts for the 3 of us. Could have had well over 80 fish if I wasnt in the cabin most of the day. Some guys did very well in the stearn and even had a porbeagle about 175 lbs which the mates gaffed. It was alot more up and down in the bow then it was in the stearn. But considering the conditions , I look at it as another good trip on the Helen H. Mostly or 3-7 pound fish, no monsters. There all inshore where youre not allowed to fish until April.1,2008. I think a 17 pound pollack won the pool.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
No where near the GOM closed area.

No need to spread bad info about closures. Joe has a tough enough time in the winter with all the crappy weather. Lets at least get the info right so he can get as many customers as possible. Bad info makes things that much harder.

Greg

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Whoa!

I certainly wasn't intending to be spreading anything. But the GOM inshore is closed till spring, I thought! Thought the writer was referring to the area that actually was closed for cod till spring.

Anybody really know if the BIG (what ever ones that are left) Cod do move inshore in the winter? They are certainly inshore over the mud in the early spring.

The Helen-H doesn't fish in the closed area in the GOM or anywhere near there. Safe to catch and keep as many cod (over the minimum size!) as you can - I see where someone actually got 47 keepers on a recent Helen-h trip if I remember the report correctly. What a catch! And what a lot of small cod to cut!

·
Registered
687 Posts
diver2 wrote:
Well I got out on Friday Dec, 28 and had a pretty good day under the conditions. Wind against tide all day , lines going under the boat and rough seas made for tough fishing and standing. I did pretty good when I was out of the cabin. I got sick for the first time in 17 years and it felt miserable. I tried to fight it off but felt sick most of the day. I think I sprayed a few guys down the side of the boat with a little overspray, but they said it made fishing even better for them. I guess that yellow vitamin water and pieces of bagel added more bait and flavor to the teasers and jigs. Anyway I fished about 2-3 hours out of the day and we still ended up with 68 keepers plus and load of shorts for the 3 of us. Could have had well over 80 fish if I wasnt in the cabin most of the day. Some guys did very well in the stearn and even had a porbeagle about 175 lbs which the mates gaffed. It was alot more up and down in the bow then it was in the stearn. But considering the conditions , I look at it as another good trip on the Helen H. Mostly or 3-7 pound fish, no monsters. There all inshore where youre not allowed to fish until April.1,2008. I think a 17 pound pollack won the pool.

They 're all inshore where you 're not allowed to fish .

I beleive thats' the area where the comms' are allowed to fish 1-10 mi
during the winter (rod & reel) with a 1,000 lb. limit. Recs can 't fish it. Thats the way it was last winter don 't know if its been changed. Hard to keep up on all the regs.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
When you post something, you got to check the fact first.
South of Cape Cod, party boats and charter boats are allowed to catch cod with no bag limit, but with size limit year round under the current regulations.

This post edited by KILSONG 01:52 PM 01/02/2008

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I heard the same thing as codmaster heard and chumslick, so I dont know where youre getting youre information from Kilsong. Why do you think there are no charterfishing boats on steel wagon or any of the other inshore spots. And if you try to book a trip for any of those charter boats for April 1st and on you cant get on the boats, there already all booked up. Walshes is also fishing out past the line, where its legal. And nobody is knocking anyones business by stating the facts. I foresure would not be knocking Joe s business at all since Ive been fishing with him for years. I know where Joes fishing . I was talking about the inshore spots where the big cod go to spawn. Those regs were in effect already last year. So know ones is talking about new regs just existing ones that are already in effect. Boy was that a sensitive subject. The problem is everyone knows it all.

This post edited by diver2 04:41 PM 01/03/2008

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
So where do think were you? GOM, George's or GSC?

What your post is describing does not make sense to me. You saying all the small fish are in the GSC and the big ones are in the inshore closed area 150 miles away?

Just want to make sure Joe does not get any bad info in cyber space about his trips. He stays well clear of the internet except to check the weather.

Greg

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Where was kilsong wrong? Since when is steelwagen (stellwagon) south of cape cod. Guess i have been fishing steelwagen all my life since I do most of my fishing south of cape cod. Guess when I was fishing on the american classic I was fishing in brooklyn. Guess the term get your facts right mean nothing.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
The HH fishes well south of any closures to do with the GOM, which is 42 degrees line. The HH fishes up on the banks, till at least the end of January, or till the fishing slows down, where there is a size limit but no bag limit.....exactly as Kilsong posted.

AS far as the "big" cod go, they actually used to be caught in abundance up on Stellwagen and even much further east and south in February and March, as demonstrated in 2007 by the nice large cod landed in early March on the American Classic. The "big" cod referred to here, are actually up on those mud flats in late spring and late fall, not in the dead of winter; they move inshore to spawn in Fall and again in late spring/early summer....There was also some very nice large cod landed out east of Block Island by the FF and Viking fleets this spring and fall 2007, and they weren't anywhere near any area closures either.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
"inshore" big cod area he is referreing to is 45 miles off Hyannis. It is not inshore. Besides, the HH don't fish the area and go further south. The bid cod area dried up already. There are only handful charter boats out of Hyannis, Cape Cod and no charter boat are willing to travel to 60 - 80 miles.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.