NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever been on the Helcat for their winter weekend cod trips. I have been out on the Francis Fleet a few times and did ok. But the Helcat is an hour and half closer to my house.

If anyone has, where do they generally fish, Block Island,Coxes?

Thanks for your feed back!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello, from personal experience if your accustomed to the Frances Fleet, I think you will be disappointed going on the helcat. Don't get me wrong the Helcat has an awesome operation and you will catch fish. However the difference in the waters that you will fish and the boat itself is pretty much completely different. Also I have to say that the francis fleet is a class act operation and will put you on the fish. In my opinion if your going to drive to Groton for the Helcat drive the extra 30-45 minutes and hop on the Frances fleet. Also if your in the area of the helen H you could also try high lines charters there at the same dock area as the H and they run a great operation.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Have fished both. The HC fishes off Montauk in the winter and I have had a few fair trips with them , seabass hake and ling mostly and a lot of short cod on a couple of trips. Have done about the same with the frances in the winter. I don 't expect too much inshore anymore.
I say flip a coin ! The hc is a very comfortable ride and if his cheeseburgers are still $2.00 who can ask for more ! Have never had a problem with the crew but again have never fished for blues with them. Fishing for blues on a head-boat is a whole different world and gave it up 25 yrs. ago.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.