NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Capt. Neil I have a heaver question I`m looking for a rod that I can match up with a Abu7500 or a Tica gemeni anywhere from 10'6"-11'capable of throwing 3-8 oz and bait I prefer a one piece, could you suggest a few blanks as well as a factory rod if there is one (I am currently using lami 101xsmhs but I know I`m pushin it to far)Thanx in advance .......John

·
Registered
113 Posts
Johnny SI,

Hi, just checked the 2002 Lamiglas rod catalog. They have a XS 101 MHC. It is 10', 3-8 lure and 17-40# test. Pretty much what you have except set up as a conventional.

I have built on Lamiglas GSB 132 1M. It is 1 piece, 11'. 4-12 oz and 40# test line. This makes a great "8 and bait" rod. An 11' graphite rod is big!! Especially if casting . However, sitting in a sand spike you cast less frequently.
They do make a GSB 120 1L, 10' with same specs as 11'er.

On the 11'er I used 11 guides.

All Star blanks have a couple options but I don't have first hand knowledge of them.

I hope this helps.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx Capt I appreciate the quick response..... if I use the 132m and want to trim 6" off where should I take it from?? and yes Billy I`m gettin ready but our run is only 12 weeks away............John

·
Registered
831 Posts
Johnny--rather than trimming 6" from the butt of a 132 1M, you might want to look into the GSB 122 1MH blank. They're not as popular as many of the other GSB blanks, but they'll handle more weight. That particular blank is around 10'2" in length, and they rate it for 6-12 or 6-16 ounces (not 100% sure which). Lamiglas tends to overrate the casting range on their GSB series. I have two 132 1M blanks, one spinning and one conventional. 8 oz with bait is pushing it IMO.

I think the legendary "Billy the Greek" has the 122 1MH as his "go-to" rod and he probably puts more big bass on the shore every year than most of us will get in our lives.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a rod built on lami gsb 1321M which I love but I agree with Michael that it will not comfortably handle 8 and bait if you are planning to cast it hard. I know because I cast 8 and bait alot in Cape Hatteras.

You might want to consider a rod built on the Lami gsb 1361MH. That was used for a number of years as the classic "Hatteras Heaver".

If you are trying to get distance, you might want to consider moving to a longer rod in the 12-12.5 foot range (though you might have to consider a two piece rod).. Lamiglas makes a very nice blank (I think it is the GSB1502) which is very light for its power range.

I love my Breakaway One Piece/Two Piece (at 12.5 feet) and it will cast 8 and bait a long, long, ways but it is a relatively heavy rod.

Best of luck,

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.