NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
Musella wrote:
It says it holds 17lb test line.. would it be good for bass and blues with 40 pound braid?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...true&storeNum=19&subdeptNum=423&classNum=477
I have a late model 7000 C3 barely used too, think its fresh water (red) and the lep mentioned these later abus have the brass gears as opposed to the newer plastic design.. i like this smooth levelwind and it says yd/lb.from [email protected] 325yards to [email protected] 200yards,i'm pretty sure this is mono..braids are alot smaller dia.and spool capacity has more than enough for both mono backing and 50lb braid. I have 30lb fireline on mine and pleased with its performance on my 1 piece ugly stix tiger lite BWCL2200 7' baitscaster. Will use this as long as it lasts for all my inshore PB trips year round. Know to rinse this reel and drop of oil inside the release button after every salt water trip.

This post edited by travelingwaves 05:25 PM 01/15/2008

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
Wow, a 7000C3 for that kind of money? A great deal, for sure.

TW - I think you might have misinterpreted what I wrote about the gears in most baitcasting reels. In an Abu, most any Abu, the drive gears are normally a strong alloy of brass - properly lubricated they will last many seasons before requiring replacement. The plastic gears in all Abu reels and just about every other brand of baitcaster I've ever worked on were all made of high-impact plastic. Again, this was to ensure that if you got a finger jammed between the levewind line guide and the inner sideplate, you wouldn't require a partial amputation to get it out of the reel.

Typically those plastic gears will shear, saving you an expensive visit to the doctor - while costing you only a few dollars of replacement cost at you local well-sticked tackle shop.

Best, Lep

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I know it will hold more braid than mono... I was thinking about the drag.. If it is made for 17 pound test, then figure the drag might be optimized for about 8 pounds of pressure.. I want to put 20-25 pounds of pressure using 40 or 50 pound braid:)

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
wow lep, so the high impact plastic design is mainly a safety issue? Lep I never had to open this 7000.. I bought this some 20 years ago when hermans in paramus nj was going out of business for about 60 bucks! funny after all these years the price is still the same! Even the close out sale mentioned here! My mate friend told me it is a fine reel and just to be sure to rinse it and put a drop of oil in the release button after every saltwater. Lep, I thank you once again and always appreciate your kind and generous contributions to us newbies. Can you read the droploop forum, I have a question over there! thanks in advance!

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
Musella wrote:
I know it will hold more braid than mono... I was thinking about the drag.. If it is made for 17 pound test, then figure the drag might be optimized for about 8 pounds of pressure.. I want to put 20-25 pounds of pressure using 40 or 50 pound braid:)
personally, I can't tell you the specifics on the abu 7000, I had questioned that awhile back in a post. I feels if and when I question needing something a bit heavier,I have my penn 320gti or penn 500 jigmaster for what I would think have slightly heavier cranking stardrag pressure. I top spooled the 320 gti levelwind with sufix yellow High Performance 50lb braid for if and when I go offshore wrecks or say out to the deep mudhole. Although this abu 7000 big water is labeled top at 30lb. test line and 200 yard capacity, I would go bigger for bottoming deeper water. I assume it has enough stardrag pressure by the label as mentioned above but not sure the specifics and the box or manual has no specs. If i'm not mistaken, shimano toriums label their models by the drag pressure 16 is 16 lbs drag pressure..torium 20 rated for 20 lbs.drag pressure,etc. I could be wrong but lets lep check
:)

·
Registered
225 Posts
West Marine

Copied this from the West Marine Site........note that the sale price is $92.66 US Dollars (save 62.33)

"325/17lb Yd/Test, Gear Ratio 4.1:1, 17.8oz, 7000C3
1168988 99M 1014258 Sale $92.66 USD Save $62.33 USD
Buy in Store"

Some things are just too good to be true!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Musella wrote:

OK I see you r post is a couple of weeks old ehre but why would you want to use a 7000 to put 20-25 pound of pressure on a fish? If that is really what you want to do, this is definitely NOT the reel for you. Secondly 20-25# is enough pressure to efficently land virtually any Albie or YFT you are likely to encounter in the NE canyons and is way overkill for any inshore applications around here. the reel is very capable for handling bass blues weakfish etc... using 8-10 pounds of drag.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I have used the 7000 abu for bluefish off party boats for many years, and have never encountered any fish that caused me any problems, including large ablies, small bluefins, and alligator blues. All this talk about drag and drag pounds is sheer nonsense. I have never seen anyone with a spring scale measuring drag pressure and not sure of anyone owning such a scale. Most if not all experienced fisherman on the boats set the drag by pulling off line and when the line gives according to their feel, that's enuf drag.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.