NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Kirk we have been talking about this in other threads for quite sometime now.. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Just thought i would bring it up to you!
Everyone is pretty ticked about it! lol

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Sportfishingusa wrote:
Kirk we have been talking about this in other threads for quite sometime now.. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Can someone post the link to the other threads on this subject ?

·
Registered
47,014 Posts
Gill nets are better then sein nets. At least here there is a certain size targeted. I did't see any by catch. And this is a three day season. I'm sure you need a permit and only so many are given out.

Remember not everyone that eats fish goes fishing. Someone has to catch them for those people. We are not the only ones entitled to the resource.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
first time I've seen it...

-Lighten up guys not everyone studies every thread every in detail (except maybe Cany)

Nice post Kirk don't let the know it alls get you down..

Alot of "skill" there huh?

Get another job and stop raping the resour$es... that's disgusting.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
crabman1130 wrote:
Gill nets are better then sein nets. At least here there is a certain size targeted. I did't see any by catch. And this is a three day season. I'm sure you need a permit and only so many are given out.

Remember not everyone that eats fish goes fishing. Someone has to catch them for those people. We are not the only ones entitled to the resource.

Plenty of fish farms out there crabby...

·
Registered
826 Posts
My apolgies kirk.....

I was thinking it was a different thread...

Also i dont believe that it is a good thing and a lot of people like i said are ticked about it but said earlier they are only allowed 3 days.. atleast they keep them.. look at all the wasted bi catch of commercial boats and draggers...

Ever see a monk boats nets or a net boats bi catch!??!

It is disgusting.. I have seen 15lb fluke and 180lb fluke in monk nets.. they use 12" mesh.. thats a big fluke to get stuck in there.. some use 15" mesh.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just a note on this kind of fishing. They've been doing it like this for several hundred years. Used oars for the skiffs and horse (real horse) power for the nets. I used to watch them pull in the spring and the catch was blowfish, croaker, small weakfish, etc. Saw a number of sets where the main catch was spiny dogs. The bycatch was a good number of gannets tangled while diving.
In the fall on the Southern Outer Banks (Carteret County,etc) the big deal was waiting for the "mullet blow", which was essentially the 1st big Nor Easter of the fall. The banks in that area run East and West and the "blow" would push the mullet out of the creeks in incredible numbers. The guys I saw used tractors and, of course, small mesh nets.
It isn't pretty if you're a rec guy who releases most of what you catch (me), but it is an old fishery. It is slipping away slowly.

·
Registered
47,014 Posts
likeitreallyis wrote:
crabman1130 wrote:

Plenty of fish farms out there crabby...
This vid was posted by a comm that wants people to buy from local fishermen. No doubt he was worried that the 3 day season would kill the price on bass for that week. He could give a rat azz about rec fisherman.

The thing is there are pleanty of bass to go around and this is just another way to harvest them. The other 362 days of the year you can have the beach all to yourself.

·
Administrator
112,311 Posts
likeitreallyis wrote:
first time I've seen it...

-Lighten up guys not everyone studies every thread every in detail (except maybe Cany)

LOL

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
rpsurf5 wrote:
Sportfishingusa wrote:

Can someone post the link to the other threads on this subject ?

Thread on this topic

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
It is a gill net, it is a big mesh, and it is a clean fishery. I don't know the regs for it, but being said that it's only a three day season, is there an exponential amount of more complaining about the people that set the same gill nets from boats, on the same fish, and simply haul the load onto the deck of a boat and motor off to pick it, rather than drag the fish onto the beach to pick the net?

They're basically using a truck instead of a boat, and even though they will haul it quicker, I don't see the big deal, except that it is more visible to the public. Either there is commercial striper fishing, or there isn't. But unless you want it all gone, this isn't so bad. They are setting on schools that are visually spotted, not setting out nets for 12 or 48 hour soaks. If you want it all gone, I would recommend starting w/ the less selective modes.

Paul

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thanks for that slick.. i thought i was going crazy when i knew i saw it!

Paul you are sooooooooo right.. as much as it is sad to see a slaughter like that at once....

IMAGNIE THIS GUYS!

Every single surf fisherman that goes out for three days keeps their fish and brings them to one spot and drops them off!! I wonder how many fish that would be!?!? a 5 mile pile 3 feet high!?!?!

We do catch and kill a lot of bass!

Those are all quality fish.. if that was a blitz with rods and reels then guys would be catching their limits.. going home.. grabbing another cooler and coming back! People can say all they want about releasing fish, trying to be careful on what sizes they keep and also people keeping shorts... The problem is people that keep more than their legal limit.. Just like party boat fishing... If you catch 2 keepers in the morning that is basically all you are supposed ot catch.. Even if you go out on the night trip!

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Sportfishingusa wrote:
Paul you are sooooooooo right.. as much as it is sad to see a slaughter like that at once....

IMAGNIE THIS GUYS!

Every single surf fisherman that goes out for three days keeps their fish and brings them to one spot and drops them off!! I wonder how many fish that would be!?!? a 5 mile pile 3 feet high!?!?!

We do catch and kill a lot of bass!

Those are all quality fish.. if that was a blitz with rods and reels then guys would be catching their limits.. going home.. grabbing another cooler and coming back! People can say all they want about releasing fish, trying to be careful on what sizes they keep and also people keeping shorts... The problem is people that keep more than their legal limit.. Just like party boat fishing... If you catch 2 keepers in the morning that is basically all you are supposed ot catch.. Even if you go out on the night trip!

Caught many, kept 6 (had to on a party boat)..(3 trips)..(yes they were delicous)..boat released the rest after the limit.. don't know what you're saying here.. one big bass takes up alot of room in the freezer..

No all the surfcasters lined up dumping what they catch would not even come close..and most I know release them (I think it's a surf thing..not sure about the boaters)..

farm raised fish... leave something for your grandkids.... you know like blowfish and whiting..

·
Registered
826 Posts
The limit on stripers is per day not per trip. That is what i mean.. you do three trips on a boat and catch 6 fish that is not really a legal ligitimate day on the water if you ask me..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.