NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just got back from a blackfish trip on a PB and recounted a story of little or no fish and some people with sticky fingers. Apparently, some of the fares stole some poor guy's fish while he was keeping warm inside the cabin :rolleyes::rolleyes:
. He also told me that 2 guys in the back sat outside during the entire trip, keeping a close eye on their fish
. Have any of you had similar experiences
??

·
Registered
548 Posts
What was the boat name?

I never heard of people stealing fish on the PB but I heard of people stealing other stuff on certain boats.

IMO the person who realized that something was stolen should have told the captain and the captain should have warned that he would not let anyone out until whatever was stolen was recovered...

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
People steal things. Everywhere, people steal things. It seems to happen less on party boats than in the general population, but it does happen on rare occassions. It's the world we live in.

That said, it pays to keep an eye out on your stuff, anywhere you go, even though most crews do pay attention. They can't be everywhere and see everything.

As for the Captain going through everyone's stuff to find stolen goods, that subject has been covered on this Board before. I am not going to revive the nausea, but I will say that I would be impressed if a client was able to ID his fillets in someone else's cooler. And I will say that even though I have some extreme feelings and techniques about theivery on my vessels, I will not conduct dockside searches of everyones' personal belongings for stolen goods, for a number of reasons, the foremost of which is that it is ineffective.

So, my advice to everyone is to enjoy your trips, but pay attention to what goes on, just as you should in every other aspect of your life.

By the way, there's no reason to mention the vessel's name. I would be impressed to see a vessel named that hasn't had a client's fish or some other possession stolen.

Paul

This post edited by CaptPaul 09:07 PM 12/25/2007

·
Registered
37,770 Posts
on the upside

Twice this year I went on a party boat out of Captree, the first time I left all my extra clothes, the second time a brand new rod and reel.
Both times the capt/mates held onto my stuff until I realised I left it,and I got it all back

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
As Capt. Paul said

It is the world we live in

I had a big whitting stolen years ago just the fact that it was a whitting will tell you how long ago.

It is rare that things get taken on a boat
much more common for things to get returned

·
Registered
379 Posts
happened to us

actually this past april or may it happened to us... my uncle dad and cuz caught about 18 fish between them selves.. then when it was filleted there was only 12 fish left... mainly all pollack but my dad had 2 nice cod gone.. 1st time it happened to me.. i was pissed. and the kicker i was helping the mates wash the party boat down too... some people just are shmucks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
On the boat I work on last season, one of our customers had some of his Van Staal gear nabbed, we never found out who did it but it is sad to see that much money worth of stuff disappear, but it goes to show that you do need to keep and eye on your gear, especially if it is small enough to fit in a backpack or cooler.

·
Registered
687 Posts
A friend had a cal-conversion and custom rod taken a good number of yrs. ago. Figure someone took the reel and threw the rod overboard. The capt. wouldn 't do a search for the reel. Friend called the authorities when the boat pulled into port and reported the theft. Beleive he had it insured or was trying to collect on his home owners ins. Personally if I were on a boat where something was taken where the value exceeded petty theft I wouldn 't have a problem being searched. Would love to see the low-life nailed ! Have reported several instances over the yrs. which I have witnessed to the capt. Also on some boats the crews' are not above suspicion so can see why a capt. might not want to do a search .

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
i had a sweet custom donart rod yanked from me while i was cleaning the boat as well.....but my daughters name was on it and 2 weeks later i get a call on my cell from a local pb capt saying,......might want to meet up between 12 and 1......

got my rod back and scared the living sh1t out of this guy who i believe wrote the boat a letter of apology....

so what did we learn? if your gonna steal a rod...at least fish it out of a different port.....

as far as the fish....some boats allow big igloos and some dont...but the big igloos have a loop hole for a $5.00 masterlock.....4 hour ride in...may want to just drop a lock on it...

·
Registered
689 Posts
I was once on a very popular party boat that fishes LI Sound. Some
s-bag stole a set of Newells from a regular and his son on the way in. Well, we turn the corner to come into the harbor and the engines go dead about 1/4 mile from the dock. Word quickly got around that if we wanted to see the dock the two reels better turn up- no questions asked. I did not see the xchage but soon therefafter they had their reels back and we were back on Terra Firma!

·
Registered
687 Posts
bloodnguts wrote:
i had a sweet custom donart rod yanked from me while i was cleaning the boat as well.....but my daughters name was on it and 2 weeks later i get a call on my cell from a local pb capt saying,......might want to meet up between 12 and 1......

got my rod back and scared the living sh1t out of this guy who i believe wrote the boat a letter of apology....

so what did we learn? if your gonna steal a rod...at least fish it out of a different port.....

as far as the fish....some boats allow big igloos and some dont...but the big igloos have a loop hole for a $5.00 masterlock.....4 hour ride in...may want to just drop a lock on it...

The lock is a great idea if they don 't take the whole cooler ! Happened to me on a Georges' trip yrs. ago. Pulled into port and grabbed my rods and some tackle to put in the truck. Came back and couldn 't find my 128 qt. cooler which contained well over 100 lbs. of filets ! Screamed to one of the mates my cooler was gone and vaulted over the boats rail and tore into the parking lot! The cooler was 2 seconds away from going to the bronx in a van ! Persons screamed it was there cooler (didn 't speak english too well) until the mate came over and verified it was my cooler, had a large yellow paint stain on it. None of their coolers didn 't even have filets just heads and fish in the round . I beleive it was intentional but of course they claimed it was by mistake ! As was stated by Paul
" Watch your stuff" or you may not have to anymore. They are very isolated instances but if it happens it really sucks !!!

·
Registered
607 Posts
STICKY FINGERS

I was on a party boat , I had white crabs and the boat had only green crabs . I was out with my partner . He went to the back of the boat and I went to the bath room . So when I went in the bath room { My cooler makes a crazy sound when opened} I looked out of the bath room window . The window in the bath room you can look down and see but you cant see in the bath room . So that crazy sound went off and I looked to see a person going in to my cooler taking my crabes , I quickly zipped up and ran over to that person and asked what he was doing in my cooler . He said he was looking for bait from the boat . I told him put my - - cking crabs down and said the bait for the boat is never on the side of the boat so get the stepping . So I know what it feeles like when someone has sticky fingers . I was putting on a show that day with the blackes . Some people dont care , If the person wanted crabs I would have gave him crabs . I always give when I have a lot just dont take from me . BROWNBOY .........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.