NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The DEC reported the Moose population is growing extremely fast upstate. They estimate the population is about 500 Moose. 20 years ago there were maybe 25 Moose in the state. In 2007, there were 2 dozen Moose/car collisions. 2 dozen accidents reported.
When do you think they'll have a Moose season in NY ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
Vector wrote:
The DEC reported the Moose population is growing extremely fast upstate. They estimate the population is about 500 Moose. 20 years ago there were maybe 25 Moose in the state. In 2007, there were 2 dozen Moose/car collisions. 2 dozen accidents reported.
When do you think they'll have a Moose season in NY ?


my bro lives in the adirondacks, and he has seen one in the 12 years he is there. female. about 2 miles from the closest road.
there will not be a season for moose again in NY in our lifetime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,108 Posts
My mother lives in the Adirondacks also by the Sacandaga Lake. There are a few by her both bull and cow. The Benson, Wells, Mayfield, Northville area has seen quite a few. They are making a good come back
.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
74,095 Posts
I'll wager a lot of them are coming over the border from VT and NH, where they have lost of them these days. There was even one that came south to CT a year or so ago before it got hit by a car. If the VT & NH herd continues to grow like it has been you'll see a lot more of them in NY.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read about that Moose in CT.

MakoMike wrote:
I'll wager a lot of them are coming over the border from VT and NH, where they have lost of them these days. There was even one that came south to CT a year or so ago before it got hit by a car. If the VT & NH herd continues to grow like it has been you'll see a lot more of them in NY.

It was a young male moose and he made it all the way down to Stamford Ct. ! To bad he got hit by a car.
Even if they had a season for Moose in NY, I still wouldn't hunt them. Heck, I don't have enough room in my freezer for a deer and a couple of turkeys and fish.
I'd love to see the Moose work there way south into the Catskills. The Catskills has alot of remote places where Moose would thrive, and just enough farms for them to graze. Actually, the Catskills is probably a better place for them because theres more food.
The Adirondacks is a dead zone ! Drive along the roads in the Adirondacks and you rarely see road kill.
I walk in the woods up there, and I never see squirrels, chipmunks etc. like I do in the Catskills.
The enviromentals wouldn't like it, but I think the state should allow the lumber co's into the Adirondacks and let them harvest more timber. The woods up there need to be managed so all plant and animal species can thrive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are there Elk in Vermont ?

Capt Ed III wrote:
never have seen a moose in ny but hunt southern part of the state in the catskills. i've also heard about some elk rumored to be roaming around the state.

-ken
My drivers ed. teacher in high school ( part time VT. resident) told me theres Elk in Vermont. He showed me a picture of a herd of Elk in Vermont. If there in Vermont, they're probably in NY too. Pennsyvania tried to introduce Elk there with mixed results.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
74,095 Posts
Vector wrote:
Capt Ed III wrote:
never have seen a moose in ny but hunt southern part of the state in the catskills. i've also heard about some elk rumored to be roaming around the state.

-ken
My drivers ed. teacher in high school ( part time VT. resident) told me theres Elk in Vermont. He showed me a picture of a herd of Elk in Vermont. If there in Vermont, they're probably in NY too. Pennsyvania tried to introduce Elk there with mixed results.


I think i recall reading some time ago that VT still had few remnants of the eastern elk herd. I've never seen one, and I think they are fairly rare.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
Vector wrote:
[The Adirondacks is a dead zone ! Drive along the roads in the Adirondacks and you rarely see road kill.
I walk in the woods up there, and I never see squirrels, chipmunks etc. like I do in the Catskills.
The enviromentals wouldn't like it, but I think the state should allow the lumber co's into the Adirondacks and let them harvest more timber. The woods up there need to be managed so all plant and animal species can thrive.

are you serious?
first of all timber is harvested from ADK all the time.
second, dead zone?
I have a place there and my bro lives there. Have spent a lot of time up there, and trust me there is more life than you know.
not just in plants, birds, insects, but I have not seen more deer (big deer) anywhere else in the state.
I've seen more black bear in a year in the Dacks than I did in 20 years in the Cats.
I have seen bear, deer, bobcat, fox, coy dogs, beaver, woodchuck, skunk, racoons all over the place, turkey by the flock, possium, Eagles, Hawks and Falcons.
if you do not see life in the Daks your not looking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
If moose do make a comeback you may see a season like Pennsylavania had with there elk. I beleive they issued 50 resident tags for elk in PA. Not sure if they still do it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,846 Posts
Can't really blame the DEC on this one. Well not really. We have taken over areas the moose have lived in and over hunted them. The DEC established these laws and restrictions a very long time ago.
The moose started disappearing back around the civil war.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top