NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is good informative article about handle design by Andy Hahn in January issue of Sportfishing mag.

The proper handles have been a big part of jigging ever since jigging became popular.
As Andy stated, there are three important aspects of jigging handles.

The length of handle, grip design and bent/straight handle.

The basic concept is to use shorter handle for fast retrieve to use longer handle for greater cranking power.
When I used Penn's new Torque 200/300 for the first time last year, I was very curious why Penn made such a short handle for them. It is apparent Penn believed short handles are better suited for jigging as it requires fast cranking. I tested both reels and their cranking power is pretty good though the reels have high gear ratio gears and shorter handles. However, for most jigging reels I prefer longer handles. The reasons are obvious. My jigging style doesn't requires fast cranking much and cranking power is more important as I target big ones. And when you use a heavy jigs or jig deep, long handles are much easier to crank.
How do you think ?

This post edited by KILSONG 09:57 AM 02/06/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FishWisher wrote:
Shimano OJ has the defintive handle. Other companies should take notice.
OJ4000P/5000P has a long handle and nice grip and there are many jig fishermen love those combination.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I want to get the handle you have on the accurate in bottom picture. Where did you get it? THe factory little knob stinks. I like the blue saltiga handle too. For me the vote goes to offset handles with a bigger handle like OJ. I don't like cranking out donut circles with a tiny handle lever.

·
Registered
336 Posts
When I read that artical about the knobs and handles in Sportsfishing a couple of weeks ago, I starting laughing.:) It talked about how much time they spend designing and testing for the perfect handle.
What a joke. I have never and I mean never found a handle or knob that I liked. And, I don't buy the cheap inexpensive reels.

Some of the cranking handles are OK, but the knobs all suck. Most cranking handles need at least a extra half inch in length. Every knob on the market is designed for little hands. I think they use five year old children for testers.

We are all different. Knobs should be like T-shirts. Small, medium, large, XL, XXL, XXXL and XXXXL. How can one knob be perfect for one person? What if they only made shirts in Medium?

The only thing to do is what I did. Make your own. It's expensive, but comfort is a must for me. I'm not going to put on a pair of size 7 shoe's when I wear a 12. Why should I put up with a little bitty knob.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The most innovative handle I've seen is the adjustable "Quick Shift" handle of Saltiga Z40 ( Japanese version of Saltiga ).
You can adjust the length of the handle just by turn the handle reversly. I don't know how strong the handle is, but I haven't heard any major problem because of it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
KILSONG wrote:
The most innovative handle I've seen is the adjustable "Quick Shift" handle of Saltiga Z40 ( Japanese version of Saltiga ).
You can adjust the length of the handle just by turn the handle reversly. I don't know how strong the handle is, but I haven't heard any major problem because of it.

I have a Saltiga 40Z Tournment reel and also Saltiga 30Z both with the quick adjust handles --- they work flawlessly --- the design is so simple that the handle lenght "could" be adjusted even with a fish on.
I believe that your initial statement is how it works: short handle faster retrieve and longer handle more torque. I not sure, but I believe this to be a function of science and not opinion.

This post edited by BobWheeler 04:33 PM 02/08/2008

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shimano is one of the biggest bicycle manufacturers in the world.
When they make a longer handle for jigging reels, they should know scienitific facts. Try heavy jigs in deeper water and crank with shorter handle and longer handle. You'll notice you need more torgue to crank fast.
There is corelationship between the cranking power and cranking speed.
As I found, Satiga ajdustable handle has the right combination for me while Penn Torgue reel's handle is too short. As MrBill posted, the optimal length of handle should vary according to the phyisics of anglers.

This post edited by KILSONG 02:10 PM 02/08/2008

·
Registered
601 Posts
mrbill1 wrote:
When I read that artical about the knobs and handles in Sportsfishing a couple of weeks ago, I starting laughing.:) It talked about how much time they spend designing and testing for the perfect handle.
What a joke. I have never and I mean never found a handle or knob that I liked. And, I don't buy the cheap inexpensive reels.

Some of the cranking handles are OK, but the knobs all suck. Most cranking handles need at least a extra half inch in length. Every knob on the market is designed for little hands. I think they use five year old children for testers.

We are all different. Knobs should be like T-shirts. Small, medium, large, XL, XXL, XXXL and XXXXL. How can one knob be perfect for one person? What if they only made shirts in Medium?

The only thing to do is what I did. Make your own. It's expensive, but comfort is a must for me. I'm not going to put on a pair of size 7 shoe's when I wear a 12. Why should I put up with a little bitty knob.

agreed - i have the same problem you do. my hand cramped when trying to use the accurate knob for long.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have not tried the quick adjust handles. Do they stay in place?

Those heavy jigs in deep water will beat you up with a short handle.
Is there a happy medium with a fixed length handle? Nothing is perfect for everybody.

The best fix is a two speed reel once you hook up. If your short fixed handle works for fast jigging, the low gear will help a bunch when pumping a fish to the deck.

This is one more reason for manufactuers to have at least three lengths of handles for their top shelf reels. If anything, they would increased revenues by everyone buying the different sizes. Also, different size knobs should be available.

·
Registered
429 Posts
mrbill1 wrote:
I have not tried the quick adjust handles. Do they stay in place?

Those heavy jigs in deep water will beat you up with a short handle.
Is there a happy medium with a fixed length handle? Nothing is perfect for everybody.

The best fix is a two speed reel once you hook up. If your short fixed handle works for fast jigging, the low gear will help a bunch when pumping a fish to the deck.

This is one more reason for manufactuers to have at least three lengths of handles for their top shelf reels. If anything, they would increased revenues by everyone buying the different sizes. Also, different size knobs should be available.

The Saltiga Z adjustable handle works perfectly --- perfectly --- perfectly. I bought it because I have an obcessive compulsive disorder and need to have everything. However, it was happily suprised to find out that the adjustable handle is designed great and makes fishing more enjoyable --- its like you can have two or three reels combined in one.

Handles --- bla,bla,bla --- two speeds --- bla,bla,bla --- one of the best tuna jigging reels --- Accurate 665XN (single speed) with an aftermarket Jigging Master handle.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MrBill, I didn't have problems with the Saltiga Z40, but I heard that the adjustable handle got broken a few times in Japan. I am afraid to use Saltiga Z40 to fight big tuna. But its concept is very innovative.

This post edited by KILSONG 04:52 PM 02/08/2008

·
Registered
336 Posts
BobWheeler wrote:
mrbill1 said:
Handles --- bla,bla,bla --- two speeds --- bla,bla,bla --- one of the best tuna jigging reels --- Accurate 665XN (single speed) with an aftermarket Jigging Master handle.

You must have little hands. My thumb will not fit inside the spool of the 665XN. The aftermarket Jigging Master handle is also to small for me. I sold mine. Knobs are very important for people with large hands.

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
mrbill1 wrote:
BobWheeler wrote:
mrbill1 said:

You must have little hands. My thumb will not fit inside the spool of the 665XN. The aftermarket Jigging Master handle is also to small for me. I sold mine. Knobs are very important for people with large hands.

Dear MrBill ---Wow ---Disregard everything I've said --- I was addressing a general audience

Now I remember your postings about the oversized knob --- The JM handle is very comfortable and is a vast improvement over the factory handle, would probably be helpful for a large handed person, but not for you.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I saw this Alutecnos Gorilla 20 reel on Japanese site.
I hope this fancy handle is availabe to the US.

This post edited by KILSONG 07:15 PM 06/04/2008

·
Registered
153 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the adjustable handle? I had thought about this idea, and later heard about it. I am a toolmaker and I might make one for myself if I can tell how it works. I have an Accurate and a torque.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.