NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was anyone aware that a commercial fishery exists for hagfish in the Gulf of Maine? Learned about it in a class today. I had no idea--not exactly a sportfish, but interesting nonetheless...

They use the skins as leather, for handbags, wallets and such.

Fishery started around 1991--what will they think of next?!

Hagfish

Hag 2

This post edited by Codfisha15 09:05 PM 02/07/2008

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
You will see the slime eel boats pretty often during the summer usually at least 20 nm out, but most of the time a little more. There are not too many of them but they are pretty big boats and they seem to cover a lot of area.

Slime eels are nasty. Someday go check out a slime eel unloading/processing in Gloucester, things are disgusting. The slime that they produce is everywhere when you handle them.

This post edited by twofinbluna 10:07 PM 02/07/2008

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
will check out dirty jobs on discovery they did a segment on that fishery it is a dirty slimey job they said the eels all get shiped to korea for food ?couldnt pay me to eat one of these nasty buggers.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
CaptPaul wrote:
Watch that once, and you'll wonder how anything can live in an ocean along w/ those things.

Paul

So true.

The things can be really be a pain for harpooning tuna. If you have to put a flag out the fish eventually will die (assuming you dont pull the dart) and slime eels can easily get into the small wound where the dart went in and can potentially eat a big enough hole so that you lose the fish when you start hauling it. Granted there are so many dogfish around now that they are the biggest problem in that situation, but slime eels can still ruin your day if they get into that wound quicker than anything due to their size/behavior

This post edited by twofinbluna 01:20 AM 02/08/2008

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
bonsiguy wrote:
....they said the eels all get shiped to korea for food ?couldnt pay me to eat one of these nasty buggers.

I could not think of anything from the ocean that I would less rather eat than one of those things.

·
Administrator
112,311 Posts
twofinbluna wrote:

Some of the images in the Gloucester video speak for themselves...Couple good ones around 1:50 of the video.......check out that slime, yummmmmmmmmmmy

How does the slime get all over the place like that :confused::confused:

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Willy, you've seen the hag fish boats working out there plenty of times, you just didn't know what they were.

On a semi-related note, any idea how to get in touch with the blond intern from the video? If she's perfectly willing to play around with hagfish slime, just imagine what else she might be game for!

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Monk fish gear, most likely. Hagfish boats work deep mud bottom off the usual day range GOM cod fishing grounds, in around 400' or so. I don't think they need to go as far as Cashes. Big boats with lots of huge plastic barrels on deck, I know you've seen them.

Cany, the hagfish don't produce ten times their body weight in slime, even though it might look that way. They pump out explosively hydroscopic protein molecules, which result in awesome quantaties of slime when mixed with water. I was told that the slime eel boats will actually collect the slime to be used in medical research. Can't vouch for the validity of that statement. Hagfish are fascinating creatures, if for no other reasons that they make lampreys seem downright cuddly by comparison.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The man speaks the truth. Watch this video--you will see a relatively small amount of white pasty stuff produced by the hagfish create huge quantities of slime when mixed with seawater:

Delicious

This post edited by Codfisha15 02:25 PM 02/08/2008

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Codfisha15 wrote:
The man speaks the truth. Watch this video--you will see a relatively small amount of white pasty stuff produced by the hagfish create huge quantities of slime when produced with seawater:

Delicious

That's freaking amazing! I knew they fished for them, just based on the notices I get from the NEFMC, but I never realized exactly what they were.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe I'll bring a hagfish trap on a two-day cod trip on the yankee capts next summer and soak it overnight. Could start a new thing: "2 Day Cashes Ledge and Night Hag Fishing." I'm sure Greg would be thrilled

·
Registered
12,363 Posts
Hey, you may have an idea there...

Hagfish may be a good bait for cod and maybe tilefish???

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.