NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I assume you know to tie in the hackle in before the chenille. There are also a number of subtleties that I'm not going to go in to that make for a solid durable fly. Tie the hackle (and it should be a wooly bugger hackle which have fairly stiff barbules) in under the shank by the stem with the dull side of the feather facing to the rear. Tie in the chenille and wind it up to the front, tie it off, then attach hackle pliers to the tip of the hackle and carefully palmer (wind)it between each chenille wind, always keeping the dull side of the hackle facing rear. Tie it off in front of the chenille. You should really have a good fly tying book, for example, "Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple" by Skip Morris.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Something to add to mgustav reply.

Before tying in the hackle first tie in a length of wire, gold, silver, black does not matter. After palmering the hackle and tying it off wrap the wire in the opposite direction of the hackle criscrossing the stem until you reach the hook eye and tie it off. This will serve to further secure the feather to the fly, and will add allot of bite protection. This is a great technique and I use it on some of my saltwater patterns to add durability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.