NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not very familiar with the tides but I do know it's good to fish during the incoming or outgoing of high tide.. Does it really make any difference if the tide is low while I'm fishing from the surf??
I've never fished during low and I know it's a possibility for me to be out there for no reason.. But from your experience does it make that much of a difference????
I'll be in the Point look out area so any info will be appreciated.. thks

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have caught nice fish (stripers, blues etc.) on both high and low tides, day and night, sandy open beaches and rocky jetties. I prefer to fish the hours before dawn or just after sunset and if possible two hours before and two hours after high tide. The important thing to do is to read the beach at low tide and determine where the best area is to fish. Stripers love structure and moving water. Look for rips and troughs. Look for structure! Presentation of bait or lures is extremely important, more so than which tide to fish.
This of course is my humble opinion.
Good Luck!
Tag & Release - Tiderunner

·
Registered
266 Posts
Certain beaches will be more productive at different stages of a tide and at certain times of the year. Theres beaches I fish that low tide is best at this time of year yet you can drive a few miles down to the next beach and that beach you'll catch fish mostly at high tide. Thats why its very important to keep a fishing log book. Write down date and time fished wind direction stage of the tide surf and sky conditions and what lure/color used or bait used. After a few years of fishing and keeping a log book you will notice a pattern of when and where fish will usually be at a certain time of year.
Also when the tides are higher than normal usually on new and full moon tides you will see the fishing is a little better on these tides.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Good advice Flyrodder, I have kept a log for many,many years and, yes you do see a pattern with the time/tides/moon and wheather conditions. All which play an important role in catching fish. As you know, "putting your time in" is the best teacher.
Tag & Release
Tiderunner

·
Registered
266 Posts
Tiderunner your so right putting your time in on the water is very very important. From reading your post above I can see you've put in the time. There's not many of us that will fish the times and conditions needed to catch fish in certain areas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.