NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been checking the beach daily in East Hampton and lately, near high tide, there have been flocks of gulls working the near-beach bars in an unusual way. They sit on the water and fly up to avoid the incoming surf, then settle again on the inshore water. They dip their bills but I haven't seen them come up with anything and there's no bait on the beach. What's going on?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've seen similar behavior on the North Shore. I watched them inside Hempstead Harbor at low tide. Obviously there were no waves. However they repeatedly sat on the water then poked their heads in. After watching them through my glasses. I could see they were picking up small star-fish. Maybe it's the same deal by you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't mention finding a 8 inch flounder on the beach being picked at by a gull. Looking through the web, I found a description (Rich Johnson of the Fishing Line) of similar summer action of fluke working sand eels on the northshore bars, with lots of birds. I think that's it. I'm going out there with waders and a flyrod. This is going to be some spring!!

This message was edited by steviesurf on 2-9-02 @ 1:06 AM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.