NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
in other words they should be using top of the line reels that cost 300 a piece so the tourist from idaho can beat the sh*t out of them and not even know the difference between an okuma and a penn.

thats just a rediculous statement you made....duck and run...

want to know how many local charter d partyboats use okuma reels and why?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
No party boats shouldn't use $300 either. They should use bullet proof indestructable reels like Penn Senators or the Diawa Sealines. Reels that the tourist from Idaho can't destroy and won't destroy themselves.
In the long run its cheeper for the boat too, they wouldn;t have to keep replacing reels.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I checked out the website, and my uninformed first impression is - unapolegetic tourist trap. Okuma reels and 10:00am sailing time? I guess the crew likes to sleep in. Not that there is anything wrong with it, really. I'm sure an Idaho family on vacation would have a grand 'ole time on that boat. It's just not something I'd consider doing.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Its Not The reel

But the guy using it that makes the difference.. Thats like saying you drive a Dodge well I'd only use a Mercedes to take me to the store, Who the heck would use a Dodge.. If it does the job then its fine..

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
You're not getting it, Phil. Okuma's not a Dodge. An old crusty Penn is a Dodge, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with either. I'd call Okuma a Daiwoo, but that wouldn't be fair to Daiwoo.

Are you going to run a 10:00am departure breakfast in bed special this season? Maybe on weekends?

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
It is strange they sail at 10:00 am as the crew came from sheepsheadbay, Brooklyn and Freeport, LI. NY captains and mates are usually hard workers though they are sometimes too aggressive.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
10:00 AM sailing time is simple. Try getting a local or tourist there any early ain't gonna happen. Nobody moves too fast doing anything.

Just the way things work down here. The half day boat goes from 11:00 to 3:30.

Greg

This post edited by YankeeCapts 04:18 PM 02/11/2008

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I think I actually fished on this boat back in the day, if I recall. Caught a pile of grunts, some short red grouper, and a small kingfish. Good times.

No Okuma reels--although I don't know if Okuma existed yet;).

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
This whole topic isn't for real. As greg said these are tourist boats, catch anything and they are happy. You cant judge these operations against the operations up north. As far as equiptment is concerned, no party boat I have ever been on has decent stuff, thats why I have lots of bucks invested. If you have to search for a decent operation find one of the boats that head south for the winter and use it.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Mikey

If I could get away with it and fill the boat. Why not no pressure and get to enjoy the morning.. But up this way that just don't happen.. Thats why we leave at 8am everyday so we fill the boat. Id rather leave at 5 and get in at 130.. Id get an extra afternoon trip in or catch all the kids games. PS Does the Okuma have 4 wheel drive and what colors do they come in. LOL

This post edited by AUDREYMAE 05:01 PM 02/11/2008

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
willie864 wrote:
This whole topic isn't for real. As greg said these are tourist boats, catch anything and they are happy.

They serve a purpose and do it well. Both local boats have been sold in the last year. The previous owners made more than just a decent living. Plus the are just about "regulation proof". We all know how important that is these days.

Greg

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
if i am on vacation and given the opportunity to sail at 7am versus 10am....i am going at 10am. and i do agree that penns are bullet proof....as we have 120 of them......we also have some okumas....pen parts aren't getting any cheaper!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want to thank you all.

I do appreciate all the input.
I am pretty new but I did like catching those Food Bank Pollack...
(thanks Cappy Phil...)

yes, vacation is going to be relaxing.... hopefully...
(after the long haul driving from Ft. Laud.)

but I don't wanna just catch grunts either...

thanks again ............................... Carolyn

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.