NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ole lady bought me a 15 foot ugly stick for Christmas and has promised to get me a matching reel for my birthday in Feb. This is alot of rod. I met a guy using one last season and liked the fact that he seemed to keep the line out of the wash when he wanted to. I had been fishing the ocean side of Belle Harbor last season with a 9 foot ugly stick and had a few problems with my line getting caught in the wash and being pulled back to shore (even with a 5 oz sinker)
So can anyone advise me on what kind of reel to put on this rod? Somthing in the $200 to $250 range.
Thanks

This message was edited by treefella on 12-28-01 @ 6:16 PM

·
Registered
487 Posts
1st, I would recommend a Daiwa Emblem XA model X5500A. It got 4 BB and 290/20lbs. gear ratio is 5:1. Good for casting lures and can hold heavier line. Good drag system. Cost about $145. It is worth it for me because I didnt lose any big stripers on it yet. I can let the fish run half way to Long Island and not worry about the end of line. Just a sarcastic expression. Weight about 24 oz. Light enough for endless casting.

2nd recommend is the Penn 8500ss and 9500ss reels. Both cost less but they got anti-reverse problems that's why they are second. Very heavy, about 26oz(8500)-32oz(9500).

3rd would be an Okuma Azul model 90. It cost about $65 and it holds 390/20lbs line. Lots of line for long casting and fighting. Got 4 BB too. Smooth drag system. Light weight about 26 oz. Affordable. :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
treefella:
penn 704,penn706, a sand spike to tothe hold rod
went re baiting.move up sinkerweight up so waves
do not move it in. you will need to carried
5,6, 8 ,oz, sinks.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
A 15 footer is a heck of a stick! I've used 12 footers and found them a handful.

Use the 15 when the surf is very rough. Otherwise, as mentioned above, go with a spike and/or a heavier sinker.

Ditto on the reel advise.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.