NorEast Fishing Forum banner
4641 - 4651 of 4651 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Guys! Been following this thread for over 10 years now. My uncle owned a 26 out of bay shore for over 30 years. Grew up in it and always loved them. Have had a few different boats over the years growing up from Garveys to shamrocks, lobster boats blah blah. Currently have a 21 chincoteague my buddy and I put together and a 30 alura. Came across a 26, hull #3 and had to grab it. Was on its way to being stripped. I’m water running great just needs some love. At one time it was named the “ squid hound” according to tiller arm and currently named the orca. I don’t have it in me to search the whole thread but someone must have some info. Pumped to start the project only thing I’ve done is power wash the balls out of it and paint bottom maroon
Sky Cloud Boat Naval architecture Watercraft

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Hey Guys! Been following this thread for over 10 years now. My uncle owned a 26 out of bay shore for over 30 years. Grew up in it and always loved them. Have had a few different boats over the years growing up from Garveys to shamrocks, lobster boats blah blah. Currently have a 21 chincoteague my buddy and I put together and a 30 alura. Came across a 26, hull #3 and had to grab it. Was on its way to being stripped. I’m water running great just needs some love. At one time it was named the “ squid hound” according to tiller arm and currently named the orca. I don’t have it in me to search the whole thread but someone must have some info. Pumped to start the project only thing I’ve done is power wash the balls out of it and paint bottom maroon View attachment 1008054
Good Luck I Had hull #5

·
Registered
101 Posts
Landscaper,
Congratulations on your purchase.
I remember the " Squid Hound " mentioned in this thread, some time ago. Mostly due to my Lab being named Squid.
I have the 1981 26 ' "Sea Jax "
2715 E Ford Lehman 120 HP 380 Cu "
I had the engine and gear rebuilt 122 hrs ago.
The Grover is a labor of love style of boat.
There is always something needing to be done and or rebuilt.
With fuel prices being where they are today, it's nice not having to be concerned with fuel consumption.
I average 1.23 GPH at 1300 rpm, ( Trolling ) Avg speed made good ( 7.0 ) knts.
I average 3.70 GPH at 2000 rpm, ( Cruising ) Avg speed made good ( 10.9 - 11.5 ) knts.
Keep in mind the speed numbers I mention are from my Furuno Loran, not my Garmin GPS units. As the loran is not as sensitive to speed fluctuations as the Garmin GPS units are.

Any concerns or question please advise & I will certainly give you my take & experiences with maintaining and running a Grover.
Water Boat Sky Watercraft Vehicle

·
Registered
101 Posts
This Past Sunday the 31st of July I made a run to the Poormans Canyon , 62 nautical miles, SE of Indian River Inlet.
Perfect conditions , being a Grover , one needs an exaggerated good weather window to make such a run, without getting beat up.
Shoved off at 4:15 am and returned at 11:34 pm.
Most of the fleet were chunking ( daytime) at Massy's, Hambone , Hotdog , inshore lumps.
When I arrived at Poormans there were just a few boats fishing the tip, all on the troll. Perhaps the fuel prices are keeping crews closer to home, as well as there has been somewhat of a bite inshore.
My logic to this type of trip was to basically give up on the predawn bight, and focus on the dusk bight.
A few photos from trip.

Grovers can get you there and back so long as your boat is in top condition and good weather to be enjoyed.
Water Sky Boat Watercraft Naval architecture
Cloud Sky Water Boat Watercraft
Fin Seafood Fish Salmon-like fish Fish products
Cloud Water Sky Atmosphere Water resources
Output device Light Product Font Gadget

·
Registered
47 Posts
That sounds like a helluva trip and some nice shots! Any keepers?
Your boat is awesome looking. I love the hull. Thank you for the kind words. I’m very familiar with the boats but obviously when something is not yours you never know what you’re really getting into when you finally get one. Unfortunately this boat is in some dire need of projects that I most likely won’t tackle just due to life and the undertaking. It floats and runs great but the rub rail from the cabin bunk back is completely gone and the gunnels in the starboard side among the pilot house are soft. I’m going to address those issues as well as floor aft of the motor box so that it’s solid and useable. I feel if I start digging it’s going to be a major ordeal. I’d love to get her cleaned up and use it for what it is around the great South Bay without tearing the whole hair apart as some of it is so far gone. Would love to find a visor as well. Boat runs smooth but is as bare bones as it comes. Very little teak work, bare cabin no cushions or head etc but ready to fish and cruise. I just want a much cleaner boat. Overtime it will come together. I’m excited. Baby in the way and 3rd boat but I saved it from being butchered. I’ll keep updating. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Landscaper,
These boats grow on there owners, to a point.
In most cases I would think the owners would accept nothing but the best in performance maintenance.
My approach was to proceed slow & steady, thereby not getting overwhelmed, and ruining the experience of continuing with her restoration. For example, I decided I wanted new fuel tanks, Instead of doing both at the same time , I did the port one first. Then I ran her for a while, then last winter did the starboard tank. All completed within 12 months.

Neglect in my opinion is why these boats start to fail.

Grover 26 is on this thread, He has made a few sun visors , and is a pleasure to speak with.
Let me know if you want his contact information.

The Great South Bay is my old back yard.
Grew up on her,
Fond memories of time well spent on her.
Keeping a classic alive & well is half the fun in owning a Groverbuilt.
Many folks at the ramps & fuel docks comment on there admiration for such a salty little skiff.
All The Best

·
Registered
145 Posts
That’s funny I was a few miles above you on Wednesday. Ended up with the one Blue Marlin released,one yellowfin and a few Mahi. I thought I did good at 55 gallons. We aren’t that far away from you I’m sure we will pass each other on the water at some point.
Water Boat Shorts Vehicle Watercraft
Water Vertebrate Liquid Lake Wind wave
Water Watch Azure Liquid Fluid
Water Sky Cloud Boat Vertebrate

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice Fish Bob!
Well done.
My experience with Blue Marlin , are limited, never landed one. Broke off many, mostly due to running over the line as they grey hound 100 mph ahead of my boat.
I burned 41 this past trip , mostly due to a slow 7.5 knt cruise back to Indian River Inlet , from the Baltimore.
I would have burned another 8 / 10 gallons if I hooked her up to 10 / 11 knts.
I'm still somewhat apprehensive with the Lehman.
I have 160 hrs on her since the rebuild. So far so good.

This weeks Mid Atlantic Tournament has seen many Blues weighed in.
The White Marlin Open was very slow.

Tight Lines

4641 - 4651 of 4651 Posts