NorEast Fishing Forum banner
4601 - 4620 of 4651 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Anthony,
Credit where credit is due!
Glad you arrived safely.
I take it you are running the FL 120 hp In line 6 ?

Bob is correct, these small boats will get you back to the dock.
I made a inshore run last Sunday, perfect conditions.
Late afternoon wind came on up to 20 knts SW.
Ran Indian River Inlet just before dark ( 6:15 )
Ebb tide was flowing good.
Well that was the most confused inlet I have seen in the two years I've been living in De.
Confused sea state.
Came off the throttle to maintain control.
Looking aft at seas 4 / 6 ' above the transom overtake me.

She made it through fine, just longer then I would have liked.
One nice characteristic of the 26' is in a following sea she maintains her course .There is little to no yawing , ( side to side).Several of my other larger Down East single screws I could not say the same.
Running her on AP is probably the best I've experienced.
True and straight with very little course correction in favorable conditions.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah. The following sea handling was really priceless. The last 80 miles into Bermuda is part of the “Bermuda Rise” where the sea floor starts to come up.

My weather window was between two fronts, and i was weighed down with fuel (scupper were 10 inches under water and plugged) so i gave a little space to ensure if i hit bad weather, it would be when i burned off 2/3rds of the 2400lbs of diesel
In the deck. Well, the front hit me about 200 miles from Bermuda (550 miles from LI) and i was running 20 foot following seas the last 4 hours from 11pm to 3am. (Not full of crap, and the interval was miserable)

But she rode nice (steering struggled though), and even picked up 3-4 knots. (Which unfortunately put me on the reefs outside Bermuda at 3:30am since I made such good time. Handled 4 hours of that type of seas no problem. (I thought i was done. Had my ditch bag clipped to my suspenders).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yup. Lehman ran like a swiss watch. The sound of the engine banging away was reassuring. Even got knocked over and she never missed a beat. The grover has a great way of handling a knock over. The nose immediately dives in and the ass pops up as she rights herself. It was disturbing, but was over in a second or two. Lehman just kept thumping.

·
Registered
101 Posts
October is a tough time of the year for sure. Prior to relocating to De I fished out of Beaufort Inlet and Oregon Inlet NC. I don't miss fishing in the Gulfstream. Yesterday ran off the beach a few miles for some bottom fishing. No flat fish , some black sea bass and several weakfish.
Surface temp went down from the past week 62.25.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,790 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the kudos.

I sold the boat down there. Market was good. (Folks love the lines and looks of the boat - probably even more than New Englanders since there is nothing like it down there.

Market value is about 2xs that of here, but there is a 25% import tax (unless you sell to a charter captain which is excluded from taxes.)

Folks were leaving notes on the boat to buy it. Sold it in 24 hours

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Sorry to see another Groverbuilt leave the area. Probably the only one in Bermuda.

What did you have for communication? What kind of radio?

What was your average speed?

I spoke to Al Grover Jr. I think the old man might want to talk to you at some point to compare notes. They are a little tied up with other things right now.

4601 - 4620 of 4651 Posts