NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 4646 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 28' Grover is now for sale.
1980 with 120 hp Lehman diesel - only 1748 original hours.
New SS shaft and Nibral wheel, 2 new 30 series batteries.
Two bilge pumps, Humminbird LCD FF, Sitex Paper machine, Raytheon Loran.
6 rod holders and outriggers
Stern controls (w/new cables) and tiller
She cruises 13kts and only burns 3.5 GPH! I use around 60 gallons of diesel for a canyon trip. There were only 50 of the 28's built...
Asking $28,500 and she's in the water now.
PM or call 631-661-4892 for info.

(This post edited by bassavant on 02/08/2003)

(This post edited by bassavant on 02/08/2003)

This post edited by MakoMatt 05:40 AM 03/07/2008

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
Anyone who is seriously interested in a good solid offshore boat, and is working with a limited budget I suggest you give Bassavant’s Grover a look over. These boats are arguably THE most capable offshore boat in this price range anywhere. I do not know Bassavant, but I know of the boat, originally owned by the Cooper family and named the “SKIMMER”, she was very rarely fished while being kept at East Islip Anglers, later sold and renamed the “OLD SQUAW.” I believe Bassavant is the 3rd. owner. I think the price he has listed is also a steal, I have the 26’ and have been offered considerably more.

MakoMatt

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, Matt! I am the third owner, but the first outside the Cooper family. The "Old Squaw" was passed from father to son prior to being purchased by me.
Maybe I'll reconsider the price! lol!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Grover Pics yet....

I've got a couple of shots from last spring that I could scan and convert...
No digital camera yet.
The boat also has a new DSC VHF & antenna. The ****pit (white) and transom were regelcoated last year as well.
If I make out OK with the scan, I'll post later.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The 28 Grover is a great boat !!!

Bassavant, Thanks for the picture. I used to have the 28.....Great Boat !!!That's a lot of boat for that price...You shouldn't have trouble moving that. If I can find a picture of mine, I'll post it.

Capt. H

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Worked on your boat

Bass,
Good luck in your sale. Just to let you know I help build the boat with Fred & Dino back in the early years when I worked there. I had a 1978 26 Grover full teak 120 Lehman and was the first guy to canyon fish a Grover boat. Back then I had very big B....
I have a photo of a pair of 180 big eyes on the boat I will try to post them and a second shot of a 380 mako in the boat.
Grover made three very rare Grover 28s and they ran well. One had the 165 Turbo Lehman The Lady Marion, the other had a half tower with the upgraded 250 Hp Lehman and a twin screw model that went up the Hudson to a police department, that had twin Volvos. They were fun years.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lady Marion

Capt H:

I fish with the original owner of the "Lady Marion" from time to time! In fact, I owe most of what I know of canyon fishing to him!

CaptLarry:
No Bigeyes on my Grovers (I owned a 26 for a few years and canyon fished it regularly). But this one isn't gone yet!
I had a couple of blue marlin behind her last year at the Dip - what a thrill!
I guess it takes big B to go to the edge on a 26 - but I always felt these were excellent sea boats and NEVER doubted the fact that I would get home -safely. And usually with fish!!
I am a Marine Engineer and (for what its worth) can honestly say that at the end of the day, there's no small boat I would rather be on far offshore than a Grover with a Lehman! You guys did a heck of a job! They are still fun years. Call me if you'd like to stop by.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Matt and CaptH:

Right on both counts: the two 300+ Makos and the White. When I was considering buying my first Grover, he came over with his "scrapbook" and showed me pictures of the Makos. He had one tied up on each side of the pilothouse roof! What a picture!
Here's another - I believe this is your brochure boat, Capt. H - before he had the hard sides and glass windows put on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
LADY MARION

KENNY CAUGHT THOSE MAKOS IN ONE OF THE MAKO OWNERS TOURNAMENTS THAT AL GROVERS USED TO HAVE (1982). THEY ARE GREAT BOATS I CAUGHT MY FIRST MAKO AND TUNA WITH CAPT. LARRY ON HIS 26. I BELIEVE ANOTHER 28 WAS THE " TUESDAY" WHICH HAD A TOWER INSTALLED ON IT.
AL GROVER HAD SOLD A BOAT OR 2 TO THE COAST GUARD. HE HAD TO MAKE THE BOAT SELF RIGHT FOR THEM TO BUY ONE ( WHICH HE DID ) HE EVEN CROSSED THE ATLANTIC IN ONE.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
I almost bought the 1 with the 1/2 tower before I bought mine. It was owned by a guy in Maryland who kept the boat down in the Bahamas, we could not agree on the price. He sold it to a tuna fisherman up in the MA area. This was about 3 years ago.

MakoMatt

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
StephaniAnn:
Great job! Here's a shot of the "TransAtlantic" near the Azores in August of 1985. The photo is from "MotorBoating and Sailing" magazine, December 1985.

Amberjack:
The pic of my boat was taken at a dock at Oak Beach. The others were from the Groverbuilt brochure.. Most of those brochure photos were of the Lady Marion II

Attachments

1 - 20 of 4646 Posts