NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi Rockin,

All 3 products are simular in that they are synthetic material.

Mooseskin is a product name and is made from EVA foam.

Hypalon is also basically EVA foam, my guess is a different formula.

There is a little difference in feel between them.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
EVA and Hypalon are 2 different materials. Hypalon is used primarily on teh West Coast, is very durable, gives a little when squeezed (I say it feels spongy), and is noticeably heavier than EVA. I believe Loomis uses hypalon on many of their Saltwater rods.
EVA is harder than Hypalon, much lighter, and comes in different grades. I personally do not like Mooseskin, as it is not very dense, and does not feel very durable to me. Customgrip, which is sold by Clemens, is very hard and dense, and I find it easy to install. The other EVA I used and liked is from Pac Bay. Not quite as firm or dense as Customgrip, but it is a good alternative. Anglers Workshop sells it as Sof-Touch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hypalon is an extrusion process that is a rubber based material. The main supplier of this is the Kirkhill Rubber Company. It is produced with predetermined IDs, with a skin on the outside. It is cut to length, and ground to shape. I only know of two companies that have the grinding machines, and they are both in California. There might be others.
EVA is a petroleum based product. It is mixed, and then poured into sheets. It is cut into long square strips, and then cut to length. The ID is drilled, and then the OD ground to desired shape.
EVA for the fishing rod industry is available in three grades. A, B, and C. The highest density being "A" grade.
There are only a couple of suppliers in the USA that offer the "A" grade. Most offer "B" grade.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
paniolo,

Thank you for a great detailed response. I'm sure it was appreciated by all who read it.

Can you tell me which companies sell the "A" grade EVA?

Thank You.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.