NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard of a few GW Sharks being spotted off Long Island this season. Has anyone had the chance to spot one of these in LI Waters in recent years? If so, I would like to hear about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
I heard of one taken about three years ago off Fire Island by a boat bluefishing in close.It was a nine foot baby.I just missed seeing one at the Virginia wreck four years ago,I was trolling there for tuna a few hours near a dragger and decided to leave when a voice came over the radio.He said there was a large White there feeding on the draggers by-catch.He said it looked like an over-turned skiff.You had to hear the guy on the radio,he was gasping for air in excitment.My friends were on a charter out of montauk on capt. Mike Brumms Daybreaker for a shark tourney. A first time fisherman on the boat hooked into a four foot baby,I've seen the pictures and you can't really tell how big it was but it did look mean.

"Fishing with an Attitude"

This message was edited by B.Attitude on 12-7-01 @ 4:34 PM

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
There are often a number of GW's off LI waters each season. Divers who go to the far offshore wrecks (150+ feet) report seeing them. You rarely hear of them however unless someone hooks one or there's an attack.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
803 Posts
Had one swim along side my boat while sharking at the Virginia late this summer . He slowly cruised by through the slick, probably 15 to 18'. There were 3 of us on board, all to dumbfounded to look for the camera.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Had 3 in the past 4 years in the gillnets set on the beach for blues. Three were pups about 200-300 lbs., but the biggest was caught in 15 feet of water close enough to hear the people on the beach talking, this one was 14 feet long, with an estimated weight of 1,500 to 1800 lbs, some great animal!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Had 3 in the past 4 years in the gillnets set on the beach for blues. Three were pups about 200-300 lbs., but the biggest was caught in 15 feet of water close enough to hear the people on the beach talking, this one was 14 feet long, with an estimated weight of 1,500 to 1800 lbs, some great animal!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.