NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
It depends on how much you want to spend. With a hardtop, w/a, I would suggest you get a GPS with a seperate antenna, which you can mount on top of the Hd.top.I own a Raychart425, and love it,you can buy a local area chart to insert. Take a look at the site.The antenna must be visible to the sky,however the signal will go thru canvas,F/g etc(sometimes).

· Registered
131 Posts
When I got the 425,I also bought an extra power cord that I connected to a 12v transformer.
That way you can get used to the various set-ups, program in various waypoints etc.
The chip was on sale for $69. I suggest you scan the net for a good price on the unit.Example I found it for$429.and wrote an e-mail to Boatus (I am a member) and they wrote back saying they would honor the price.I then got it my local store.

· Registered
131 Posts
RAY I found the price by searching thru yohoo, but I can't remember the actual store. I have mine mounted on the dash and I put the antenna on a a short tube just in front of the windshield.I never go out without the unit on, and once you set in various waypoints, you simply lookup that waypoint and press (go to),(Enter). The unit will tell you direction, distance, and ETA.I go off shore to 15-18 miles. Any time you enter a waypoint,the unit will show wp001, etc, then you can customize the name with the alf/num keys. If you have the track mode on the unit will display a point to point back track line on your return.Once you get used to the unit ,it is a very simple process. that is why I play with it at home connected to the AC/DC converter.

This message was edited by NANSEA11 on 1-18-02 @ 9:45 AM

· Registered
131 Posts
Sea-Cilian- I couldn't find a full view of the dash layout. 1st, I would keep it away from the compass, You might be able to mount it under the hard top, or in front of the throttle, I would move it around while sitting at the helm, and see where you can view it the best. If you were near me I'd do it for ya.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.