NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
I'm thinking about getting the Raychart 425. How do you like it? I currently have a Garmin 168s and it is a good machine but I want more detail as is available in the Navionics chip. Is the Raychart hard to use? How good is the detail on the Navionics Chip that you have. I am also considering the new Garmin 182 that is supposed to have more detail than the Navionics on the Garmin Blue Chart Chip. As far as responding to what machine is a good choice, the boater must decide for what purpose is he using the machine? Does he want to go offshore? Does he want it simply to input fishing ground numbers? For me, I want depth contours and all the channels marked b/c I'm on the Great South Bay. My Garmin does not have the detail required when I'm looking for channels, etc.

· Registered
45 Posts
NANSEA 11:

Where did you see the unit for $429? The cheapest I saw it was $469 at Consumer Marine. Navionics has the chip that covers from Boston to northern NJ for around $200. Did the 12v tranformer help you get used to the unit? Where do you use your unit? Are you navigating offshore with it? How long did it take you to learn how to "go to" various destinations?

Thanks

Ray

· Registered
45 Posts
Capt. Marc:

As I already posted, I have a Garmin 162. I want to upgrade to a unit that has the detailed charts. Why do you like the Garmin so much. Didn't you find it difficult to use? How did you figure out how to use the unit? I have the "instructional video" but it didn't help much. This winter, if I do not upgrade, I am going to sit down with the manual and figure it out. I have the 12v transformer. Also, I bought the Map Source CD but the detail wasn't that great. One last thing, when you navigate, do you use the highway page?

Thanks,

Ray

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.