NorEast Fishing Forum banner

GPS Feedback please

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  DoctorFish 
#1 ·
I own a mounted Garmin GPS and have no complaints. My friend just bought a boat and asked me if hand held or mounted was a better idea. I've never had a handheld. Could you give me your opinion. Thanks.

#7 ·
gps help

I've used a handheld lowrance global map 100 for the last year. If you master it, it may serve your purpose. I used it to navigate wayward points in some pretty thick fog and it works well. The accuracy is probably around 20-50' but it is only said to be around 50-60'. Just bought a garmin 182 c with bluechart mapping and it is clearly the way to go. It's a tremendous fishing aid in htat you don't need to cross reference charts to see what you're fishing over.

#9 ·
I have the Garmin 176, which I think combines the best of handheld and fixed mount. It has the full maping capabilities and takes the Bluecharts, can be mounted and used with its built in ant. or a seperate ant. can be added. It is also battery operated (can be hardwired) and can be taken from boat to boat, or even in the car. It certainly is not as small as the true Hand helds, but it has a big screen for the maps.

#11 ·
I bought a Garmin GPS 76 and have use it since last season with excellent results.

I waited most of last season for Garmin to come out with their marine mount and finally used the automotive mount which was much less expensive and have had absolutely no problems. On a smaller boat like mine (19') I would think twice before drilling and mounting a larger unit.

#12 ·
Handheld GPS

Last year in the fall a friend of mine got caught by Moriches Inlet at 2AM when a thick fog rolled in. He had t oanchor up and sit it out till after 6 AM before the fog thinned out enough to navigate. I went out the next day and bought a GArmin E-Trex hand held for $120. that night while heading out to the same inlet I marked each buoy as a waypoint just in case the fog rolled in on me. to make a short story shorter no fog came which gave me the opertunity to test it's accuracy. used the trackback feature and it worked like a dream right back to the dock. I don't know how good it is for finding a small rock pile your next trip out but in a pinch it will surely get you back home! and for $120 it's a pretty good deal. Lots of features, speed, time to go, date/time, 500 waypoints etc. I'm happy with it on my very small boat (16').

#13 ·
Handheld

I use a garmin handheld. I have space constraints. I bought a mounting bracket
and wire harness for it. I can pop it in and out at will.
Screen is small but most often I use the pointer from waypoint to waypoint plenty large enough to see with a casual glance. It's alway got me back home.
For "fun" I cover over the GPS and using my compass/chart/depthfinder I navigate back to a point on the chart and I've got pretty accurate, so if the GPS dies I should be able to get home fine.

#15 ·
Even though I have a fixed mount gps with a chartplotter & fishfinder combo, I still find my handheld Garmin gps extremely useful. Not only is it a great backup system. But when running my 21 footer at night, it's much easier to hold the handheld as I'm stand to look over the windshield as opposed to having to look down at the dash every once in a while. I thinks it's safer at night because it allows me to keep my eyes on the water and it doesn't affect my eyes or their adjustment to night vision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.