NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend, bought me a new rod for x-mass, and now I want to buy a new reel. The rod is an ugly stik custom, model number USCB1170MH. Looking to do some cod, bait fishing and jigging. I have been looking a a few reels, the daiwa saltist, daiwa slx 50ha, also, like the newells but not sure witch one would be best. Also was looking at the Shimano Torium reels, but again not sure witch one would suit my needs. I also like the look of the pro gear reels. Looking to spend $150 or less, maybe a tiny bit more. Please recommend other reels also. Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Go with the Torium 20

More then enough reel, for what you want to fish. The 20 loaded with BRAID (50 lb and a 20 foot top shot of mono)will keep you Cahdin' for days. Another Choice would be the 338 Newell. And finally for a lower end in the $$$$ not quality there is the Penn 112 and 113 Senators, these are the old standby's for cod fishing, How much water do you fish and where?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Definitely the Torium 20 over the Newell, I was looking at both over the weekend with the same question you have. Another good choice is the Okuma Catalina CT 30 CS for a little less money. It's a few ounces lighter than the Torium , has about the same line capacity, and still has the muscle to pull up big cod with a 6.2/ 1 ratio.

That's my choice, although I still may get the Torium eventually as well.

Can't have too much equipment now can you?? :)

This post edited by basssman 08:44 AM 12/26/2007

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I fish on the yellowbird and eastmans out of Hampton nh, I get out between 7-10 times a year. I think we fish anywere between 200-300 feet. Im looking for a reel that I only have to service at the end of the season, since I do not have alot of time to be tearing it apart between trips. I have a Penn senator allready I wanted something different. I want someting that has a lower profile, Could I get away with a Torium 16 or would that be too small? I allready have a Okuma Titus 30 but it's a lever drag reel and I really do not like useing it a bit to hard to get used too.

·
Registered
826 Posts
GET A AVET!!

The avets are kick A*#!!! I would get one of those. Small, low profile, and kick ass gears! I am not a big believer in taking apart a reel every year... If you got to do that for a small reel then not a good reel. Some people call it keeping up on them but just use them and do it every couple of years. I got an older pro gear reel from 6 yrs ago and have no services it once. I do my offshore gear every year but i dont do my inshore stuff. I do it once in a while but thats it.. The gear should not be even work from inshore fishing unless your getting some serious drag pulled out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
the best reel for the money shimano tr 200 59.00 and its a workhorse caught lots of big bass in the high 30lbrange year after year with no problem and small makos 50/ 100lbs and bluefish to 17lb and the best is have not serviced the reels in 6years and they coninue to catch another bullet proof reel is shimano tekota 600 more money but worth it i have two of them and they are great

This post edited by LIL VIKING 06:27 PM 12/26/2007

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
I am in the same boat I got an ugly stick tiger rod 7' medium action and I have been looking at the Avet's along with a few Penn's anyone give a recommendation on what model Avet to look at as I dont know anything about them have always been a Penn guy

·
Registered
84 Posts
PROGEAR REEL

THIS COMPANY IS NOT MANUFACTURING,SERVICEING OR MARKETING REELS ANYMORE. PURCHASE A REEL FROM A COMPANY THAT OFFERS SUPPORT, SOME OF THE NEW REEL ARE NOT SO EASY TO SERVICE.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
rod/reel wrote:
THIS COMPANY IS NOT MANUFACTURING,SERVICEING OR MARKETING REELS ANYMORE. PURCHASE A REEL FROM A COMPANY THAT OFFERS SUPPORT, SOME OF THE NEW REEL ARE NOT SO EASY TO SERVICE.

I saw a few on Ebay never heard of them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.