NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been given an Eagle Z-9500 fishfinder with Loran C. I think its about 5 years old and is in fine working condition. My question is, do I want to go to the trouble of installing this unit given its age, will I be happy with it compared to whats out there now? I'll be doing most of my fishing on Jeffreys Ledge and Stellwagen. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
shebeen,

Are you sure the z-9500 isn't a combo GPS/Fishfinder? Or in your message you also was givn a loran (make & #?). The fishfinder looks like it is worth installing but I would get the 8deg transducer if your going to be fishing deep for cod and haddock. What is the specks on the fishfinder (power, depth cap, pixels)?

Capt. Marc

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Capt. Marc,
This unit is a combo fishfinder/Loran-C. Wasn't very clear in my 1st post. It has a range to 9000',but I couldn't find any info. re power or pixels. If the pictures in the manual are any indication I'd say resolution is fair to good, b&w. Also when looking for info, it appears this unit is closer to ten years old or maybe twelve. I've got a 20 deg transducer with it so if I do keep it I'll take your advice and switch to the 8. Any thoughts? Thanks Cap.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
shebeen,

If it is that old you may want to consider new equipment. The new displays are real nice as is the benifit of GPS units (super for following a drift over and over again.

Although is cash is tight you may want to jury rig it for the first trip and see how it works when your outside the harbor past the shoals in 200' water. If it isn't what your looking for then toss it.

I have a Lowarance x65 and a Garmin 152 and they work for me. They cost almost $700 but it really helps find fish and get back to the spots time and time again.

I have a Reytheon 520 loran which still works fine but the GPS has much better features and I didn't even bother to bring it most of this year.

Garmine is coming out with a 182c model which is an upgrade to my unit excepts chart chips and is color. Worth looking into but who knows the $$.

There is some previous posts for fish finder selections you may want to look through.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Good luck.

Capt. Marc

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Capt. Marc,

I guess the more I think about it, the more I think I'd better get new equipment. Fortunately I've got a few months before the season to scrape up some cash.

Thanks for the good advice Cap, I'll give you a shout if questions come up. Good luck to you.

shebeen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.