NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Lunar Phase

That is sort of a trick question. The two particular lunar phases, though similar in gravitational force, differ from location to location as depth, bottom contour, and velocity of current plays a significant factor of stimulating the bite regardless of light or not.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Moon = Boats

The moon brings out all types. This drives the fish down. All that noise.

Fished full moons, June, July, Aug, Sept etc. Off Montauk, caught better the nights before, and after. All types offshore, fighting for the ' ' ledge off Block. Viking Boats #2 of them, Marlin, Otter, not to mention Helen H fleet, plus all the charters, and a few recreationals,..all floating over small structure. Great for the charter guys, it brings out the crowds. Fishing is hard businsess, its nice to see them full, thats the good part.

I do think that the biggest fish are feeding on the full July, If my memory is correct, the 2nd largest was caught on an eel, full moon many years ago. Mabey that was before the " Fleet " was floating on top of them.

Mabey someone knows the story of bigrecord striper found on the full moon?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Moon

For bass-I don't like fishing either or the day before and after on the N. Fork. The tide runs too hard and I catch mostly schoolies and blues. A couple days before or after are preferable.

For Fluke-I like both. That fast drift gets them all revved up.

·
Premium Member
68,838 Posts
Rooster,
what do you want know about that bass. I held the world record for a number of years and was caught by my, and Alberto's freind, Bobby Rochetta. The most unusual thing about that night was that there was a full lunar eclipse.

·
Registered
343 Posts
A full moon may be fine for boaters, but the dark of a new moon brings the bass closer to shore for surf rats. Despite all the hoopla about "new" and "full", I've found I do better a few nights BEFORE or AFTER the new moon from shore, and also better a few days before and after from a boat. To me, the actual maximum current just means seaweed!

Flounder

·
Registered
197 Posts
MOONING EH??

Hi Al,

It's me the Spig.

My preference, nowadays, would have to be a few days before and a few days after the new moon. If cornered, I'd say the few days after the NEW MOON.

Reasons: I now fish with a flyrod almost exclusively. Very dark nights seems to equal bait closer to the beaches, which as you know brings in the gamefish - bass and blues. This makes reaching the fish easier with the clousers, deceivers etc. Also, this is the period when we see the cinder worm hatches on the North Shore and I have had some awesome fishing during these hatches.

BTW, I was never a big fan of full moons on the beach. Seemed to me that the bright moon put off the fishing. Saw it happen more than once.

Tight lines bud.

Spigola

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why new moon.

Dear Al:

While both the new moon and full moon develope similar tidal heights and lows, and therefore contribute to similar tidal currents, I prefer the new moon phase because of the low light conditions.

With so much ambient light near the north and south shore beaches it is my feeling (no data) that bass are less leary under low light conditions in the shallows of our water.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello Fellow friends and fishers,

From the looks of it… it does not surprise me at all that the "new" moon was the favorite of all! Also, the posted reasons are all valid and revealing!

Waivebeater and Spigola, prefers the new moon phase for the obvious reasons! Low lights/ fish (predators and baitfish) comes closer to shore!

Basschaser did not give an exact answer… but he prefers "darker nights" which means closer to the new moon

Redfish throws in a curve ball and says "lunar phase". :) Hmmm?

Capt Mark indicated the Full moon because you can see better at night and less of "glow" stuff. Good point… but are you trying to say that you don't like the "Glow" stuff?

Rooster also brings out a valid point… (Montauk) The full moon brings out the crowd and the fish goes deep due to the noise… but he likes a few days before and after the full moon.

Capt. Ant fished the "Stepping Stones Lights" during the full moon phase at outgoing tide… Care to post your catch?

BD001 wrote:
For bass-I don't like fishing either or the day before and after on the N. Fork. The tide runs too hard and I catch mostly schoolies and blues. A couple days before or after are preferable.

MakoMikewrote:
I'll take either, have done well on both. Full moon makes it marginally easier to navigate at night especially when the idiots forget to turn their running lights on.

Flounder wrote:
A full moon may be fine for boaters, but the dark of a new moon brings the bass closer to shore for surf rats. Despite all the hoopla about "new" and "full", I've found I do better a few nights BEFORE or AFTER the new moon from shore, and also better a few days before and after from a boat. To me, the actual maximum current just means seaweed!
Hiya Flounder! That's correct! I generally like the last two and first two nights around the new moon phases! However, I've also had some impressive bass dead on the new moon despite the heavy seaweed activity.

DoctorFish wrote:
…Don't you hate it when you get those months on certain years when the entire full moon phase is wasted because the moon rises around the same time as the sun??

Spigola wrote:
My preference, nowadays, would have to be a few days before and a few days after the new moon. If cornered, I'd say the few days after the NEW MOON. Reasons: I now fish with a flyrod almost exclusively. Very dark nights seems to equal bait closer to the beaches, which as you know brings in the gamefish - bass and blues. This makes reaching the fish easier with the clousers, deceivers etc…..

All in all… I am glad that many take the moon seriously! To me it affects the fishing and the truth of the matter is… I've caught many fishes during both moon phases… but the reason why I like the "new Moon" better is because bigger fish are less weary and they feed closed to the shorelines to ambush their prey!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
181 Posts
FULL MOON

There is nothing like being out on the water on a calm, warm night, (away from the crowds), with a full moon rising up - a big red-orange sphere climbing up into a bright white beacon, shining moonlight along the water's surface right to your boat. Its magic. Sit back and take a look around once in a while.

On a night like last night, who cares how many fish you catch? Get the line in the water tight, and enjoy the rest! No worries mate.

...mocean

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sure I'll post my catch Al...

Last Night, near the Throggs Neck Bridge.. 40ft of water..using bunker chunks on Owner Hooks 7/0.

One 32" bass for the table.

2 bass 28-30" safely released.

2 blues released as well.

Lots of action. Lost 5 or 6 hooks due to bluefish biting them off.

Beautiful night...calm water...tried 2 fantastic beers from Belgium I had never had before...Hoengarten and Duvel(two of the best beers I have ever had). Nice fat La Gloria Cubana cigar. YUM!!!

·
Premium Member
68,838 Posts
Al,
You know the spots I fish, all small pieces of structure. I just use the standard three way eel rig with about 6 ft of leader and make short drifts, adjusting as required to drift right over the structure. Nothing magic, just find the spots, fond the fish and spend as much time on top of them as possible.

·
Registered
77 Posts
the hungry ocean

read "the hungry ocean" by linda greenlaw - she was the captain of the hannah boden - the other boat owned by the owner of the andrea gail which sank during the perfect storm - in that book she chronicles a swordfish trip - great reading - but she talks about the full moon and its' impact - basically she said they catch 50% + of their take during a stretch from 2-3 nights before full to 2-3 nights after with very few caught the night of the full moon or the night on either side of it- sounds like those days 2-3 days before and after are prime time - i have a tuna trip this year on 10/23 - 2 days after full moon - cant wait!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.