NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please give me some information about conventional reel and rod combos(Fathers day is coming). I have many spinning reels and rods but I want to extend my arsenal. I fish the south shore beaches all the time and I do need to learn how to cast a conventional setup. Thanks in advance for the great gift you will help my wife and kids pick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Penn gs 535 and a Penn 10' graphite wirh 8 oz rating. GS 535 has an anti-backlash device built in, great for rookie or pro.
You didn't specify Bait or Lure. Bait, I presumed.
Should purchase from Sport Authority instead of local bait shop.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
xpresean wrote:
Can someone please give me some information about conventional reel and rod combos(Fathers day is coming). I have many spinning reels and rods but I want to extend my arsenal. I fish the south shore beaches all the time and I do need to learn how to cast a conventional setup. Thanks in advance for the great gift you will help my wife and kids pick

There are only two reasons why you should use conventional gears from shore… 1) For extra distance (casting big lures) and 2) torch (heavy line / chunks)! Either case, you need to practice on your technique (develop an educated thumb).

I strongly recommend a level wind reel if you are a starting off… but once you are accustomed, you may want to learn to powercast (without level wind) for maximum distance! Depending on your budget, look into the 10'+ rods and a reputable reel (PENN, Daiwa,Amb., Shimano, Newell etc…) that can sustain approx. 300+ yards of 20-30 lbs. test.

Sharpshooter provided you with some sage advice too... but I believe you should shop around because Sports Authority has some quality fishing goods, but my past experience with their personnel didn't meet my expectations.

My advice, I would shop around… and you will find that the local Bait & Tackle shops will be more helpful / knowledgeable and will provide you with local fishing info. that you'll need!

That's my 2 cents worth.

Tight Lines,

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello sharpshooter,

No offense and you may be right… but that is why quality products have "warranty" (any shop will have no issues returning it)!

Also, have you ever bought any fresh or live bait (bunker, sandworm, clams, sandeel & Killies, mussell…etc…) at any Sports Authority?
What about repairing /servicing your tackle each year?

In general, I am not asking them not to shop there… I am asking them to compare and shop around! Give the local Tackle Shop a chance…and besides, it's not about the little amount you save… it's all about sharing the knowledge and experiences… and helping them out (to survive)!

All in all, super stores and catalogs have taken much of the local tackle shop businesses away… and if we keep at this, we will soon loose them all!

Have a good day!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dear Al,
It's not about declaring war to the local bait and tackle shops, nor the possible mechanical breakdown of the equipments.
It's all about the first few casts: How will the rod and reel fit to the owner when he's holding it and casting it, or fighting the fish with it. What happens if he used it and didn't like it ? Especially, we are talking about a WIFE & KID of purchasing the equipments.
SA WILL NEVER GIVE YOU A HARD TIME.
However, I'm not so sure about the local guys, may be if you're famous.

·
Registered
487 Posts
SA will not give you much problems but they cannot help you in choicing the right outfit. (Just my opinion, you dont have to agree. :)) I find that the local bait & tackles will sell the rod and reel a little cheaper or more expensive but they are more knowledgable. I have no problems with my local b&t as long as you are honest. They might be trying to survive but they are people too. Some b&t will give you hard time but some wont. You have to ask them if you can test it out or exchange if you dont like the rod or reel. Be nice and honest.

Most b&t are fisherman too. :) They can help you decide which rod and reel or tackle is right for you.

Back to conventional tackle. I like the Daiwa Sealine rod and a Penn 975 reel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.