NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or has the quality of Gibbs lures gone down over the years? Recently I've hooked up nice bass 20lbs+ and broke the front swivel off.
this happened twice what's the deal? This shouldn't happen when paying $15-16 a plug !!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think that most of these lure manufactures are charging WAY to much for their plugs. And they are cutting costs by making a product that is inferior to the old originals.
Gibbs (one of my favorites) is way to expensive, and yo-zuri is just plain out of control! (There pencil goes for $17.oo!! Thats insane!
You should feel bad when you lose a nice fish...
NOT an expensive plug!!
....am i right!?
I have been using the cotton cordell pencils and red-fin style swimmers more often lately. At $6.oo they are a bargain, and they are producers!!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
It's getting to the point were a lathe in the basement isn't looking too bad afterall. :(

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
498 Posts
You should feel bad when you lose a nice fish...
And what about when you snap one off,now that really HURTS:(

But as long as we continue to pay they will continue to pump out crap, I have been trying to stick with Bucktails and Rubber it's alot cheaper but you know what they say about lures being designed to catch a fishermen not a fish

·
Registered
157 Posts
I made this lathe out of an old drill i had in my shop. I have made some nice plugs some better than the comercial stuff. Works like a charm cost is minimal.

always gottafly

·
Registered
238 Posts
gottafly what are you charging for one of those? Can i get a 3oz. what kind of wood do you use and where can i pick up one of those machines. whats the learning curve to produce something like that?
thanks
spacegh8st

G

·
test, so now I lost my bASSmaster name and Im stuck with this name. aaaaahhhhhhh

This message was edited by dstratrap on 11-10-01 @ 11:55 PM

·
Registered
126 Posts
Gottafly,

What kind of wood do you use?

Paint and then a clear coat?

Hardware screws into wood or is there wire for strength?

You buy/make lip for surface lures?

Largest fish caught on your lure?

Thanks

Kenny

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wood: Mostly pine which i weight with lead.
Paint: Auto primer / regular inexspesive spary paint 2 part epoxy finish.
Hardware for hooks 7 wire : Home Depot
Lips: i have only made poppers and darters, needle type plugs. So i dont know, but i imagine you can buy thin stainless at any good hardware store. then all you need is a saw and files.
Fish: 30" 12 pound Striper on black popper

always gottafly

·
Registered
157 Posts
ErnieP

Its nice to see others taking photos of there work. There is nothing like catching fish on hand crated tackle. I make just about everything i fish with except reels. I have made my own poles and such for past 5 years. I had recently got into saltwater fly fishing for bass and had lots of fun tying flies. But recently my brother in law wanted to go fishing and he purchase a spinning set and i dug out all my surf stuff again. Now i am finding with all the knowledge i pick up from fly fishing stripers My catch has increase. I have had a great year so far. Its been a fun year. Also looking forward to the shop this winter. Have a few plans i want to tackle. I will keep posting my items i make, as well as anyone else out there. We should see if we can get a tackle craft discussion section on the board. It would be great to see what people create and maybe make some extra do re me.

Anyway, Everybody keep the photos coming lets see what you made please post projects.

always gottafly

·
Registered
157 Posts
Looks like Ernie and I are the only two who make their own tackle. It would be nice to see what others have made. Someone please submit any thing you made for fishing. I would like to see a Section on this site just dedicated to Tackle Craft and winter projects.

always gottafly

G

·
I'm sorry I didn't see this post sooner. Guys...I
recently had some problems with Gibbs plugs. I
fish Montauk often and have had good results with
Gibbs Darters at night and Gibbs pencil poppers by
day. Lately I've noticed a drop off in quality in
the plugs. The darters front eye and hook came off
on a smallish fish and the pencil poppers finish
and paint come off after one good session. I sent
them back. They sent me new plugs.They will stand
behind their product. Not many companies do that.
If you have had problems that you think are the
plugs fault...send them back with a note....you
may be surprised by their response.
Best fi

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.