NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To follow up on that other thread. This past Sunday I was inundated with shad. I had fun catching them on light tackle but after a dozen of them it almost became annoying (released of course). I did manage to get through to the bass (if only once).

My question: How should I target Bass when shad are everywhere.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
use the shad

The bass are inhaling these fish when they catch them. People are catching them { bass} by live lining shad.
I worked a school of shad in JI yesterday for a few shad then bucktailed a whole bunch of bass underneath. The bass hang out down there and scarf up all the wounded fish/spearing that heads thier way.
Now @ the bridges @ low tide lets say there may not be any bass under the shad
but fishing the bridges with these shad schools has gotta produce on the outgoing ect. People have been catching bass with shad. If your in the inlet & birds are hitting these shad schools I'd bet anything you could get some nice bass underneath. As I mentioned I did last night JI.
Cracken a quick question :
What are you using to catch the shad?
Ive been catching 3-4 a day but they dont allways take the small krockadiles or 007's or diamond jigs that I toss @ them, they sometimes can be frustrating to catch { me anyways}
ALAN

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
i was at the third wantagh for the last two hrs of the flood yesterday. the whole time there was birds working something just east of the pilings. i had bellies out behind and worked the birds both shallow and deep with tin and bucktails. i had not a hit. scalawag, could it be that these birds inshore are working sand eels and not shad? ive never seen shad around and not caught them. anyway i think ill try the inlet today. g.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Gebby, I think thats still the shad there

I cruised by there yesterday right around high. Those birds and the shad have been @ those bridges for weeks, yesterday the big M was heavy with birds as I was heading home. You have to throw little tins @ them or " darts".
Im not sure how tho fish the darts most people throw the tins. They can be a little frustrating to catch. The shad in the inlet is where the bass will almost definatly be under allthough I'm sure it happens @ the bridges too.
Alan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scalawag

Small Kasmasters with either a feathered teaser or a white Fin-S teaser has worked wonders in catching shad. Usaully they were taking them right near shore and within sight of my lures. Very interesting to watch them zoom up and hit it. The shad I caught were pretty big. It would have to be a very large bass that would take one live-lined.

Should I use bucktails to target the bass underneath? Do you recommend any other plugs for bass when the shad are around?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The right approach is definately to use buctails under the shad. I have found that white, with white twister tails work well. Be warned, there are also small blues around, so be prepared to loose some twister tails.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Shad

Caught some shad in moriches inlet few days ago using medium size diamond jig. Found that you have to use a slow retrieve to catch them. The ones I caught where too big for the bass.
Saw one guy catching one bass after another live lineing the smaller ones (shad).

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Bassmans right white bucktails, .....

2 ounce minimum for the inlet .
I also tipped mine with spearing, not sure if it ment much but had some spearing to use up and the bass were hitting it { hard}
I think the shad are on the spearing & the bass are under the chaos eating anything that comes there way.
I also got some on a biggish krockadile lure, I trolled around the shad but I should have just jigged it, those lures flutter like a wounded fish and bass have hit them for me in the past.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
in two hours at the big meadowbrook yesaterday caught about thirty shad (some doubleheaders) on either small crocs w/ teaser or 1.5 red/white bucktail with teaser. had the bucktail in all levels of the water column and couldnt buy a bass. only two 3lb blues. i must suk. didnt have heavy enough tackle to live line but arent they too big anyway? smallest was about 18 inches. what would u use to liveline? 3 x 3 or fishfinder? thanks in advance. g

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.