NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
tuna toys

Ravioli,
heres basically what you need to get started for trolling tuna.(inshore)
Few cedar plugs (natural wood color)
few 6" tuna clones (assort.colors)
few 6" jet heads (black/purple a must)
few 6" zuker or ballyhood feathers
few small bird chains
a green machine
a few 6-9" bird teasers

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Ravioli,
Are you getting set up for bluefins or Yellowfin/albies? Makes a difference. For yellowfins/albies you can't go wrong with 6-8 inch jetheads or tuna clones. For bluefins go much smaller, moat of the bluefins I've caught on the troll have come on 3 inch long hex heads, or similarly sized tuna clones.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
set ups

Ravioli
with the above mentioned lures I've taken school bluefin from 20 to 60lbs. and dolph from 3 to 12 lbs.They also took yellows in montauk for me.
paulie

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
set ups

Ravioli
with the above mentioned lures I've taken school bluefin from 20 to 60lbs. and dolphin from 3 to 12 lbs.They also took yellows in montauk for me.
paulie

·
Registered
384 Posts
Rav- as the others have pointed out, lures in the 6-8" range are effective for a host of offshore species. you can maximize the effectiveness of your spread by utilizing a number of lures in a daisy chain. so if you find some lures that you're sold on, don't just pick up one or two.

color is also an important consideration. I suggest that you pick up several colors (pink/blue, green/yellow, purple/black comprise most of the colors in my spread)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Bluefin Regulations / Calcutta Cane

This may seem like a strange pairing of questions, but I figure this is the board most likely to answer both.
I can't seem to find Calcutta cane anywhere local. It's still my favorite for gaff handles and eel spears. Anyone know of a source?
This is the year I plan to venture a bit more offshore a bit more often. On the chance that I do get a bluefin, what are the rules and regs and permits and all that? Is there a web site? Thanks
Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.