NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
That first step

It is a little intimidating with all the kayaks out there and trying to figure out how to rig the thing once you get one, but with some of the info on the net you cant make a much more informed choice. If you go to kayakfishingstuff.com it might help you help you out.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I started a business last summer specifically to get people into the sport properly. Too many people were confused and going to a kayak shop and being SOLD by people who didn't even fish let along fish from a kayak. Kayak fisherman use kayaks to fish and our needs are very different than those of a kayaker. Kayakers, unless they fish also, don't understand and will often put you in a kayak that isn't a good choice.

My buddy, kayakjoe or also known as Joey (the post above) has joined me this spring and we're in the process of creating the best kayak fishing accessories business period. We're also going to sell kayaks and right now we're a dealer for Cobra, Wilderness Systems and Ocean Kayaks. We just launched our site this week, so please bare with us, as we will have the most extensive educational site on the sport anywhere. I have personally set up a few dozen people with kayaks and gear and we take the personal approach. Check you the site and give us as much info as you can and we'll do our best to provide you with the info you need to make a wise decision based upon your needs.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Jon and joey

I wish you guys the best of luck. I can feel your enthusiasm and sense your desire to help guide those who want to get into what seems to me to be a great sport in the right way. I say "what seems to me" because I am still in the information gathering stage myself and have found that all of the information that the two of you have imparted to be extremely beneficial as well as motivating. Your true love for the sport, and your desire to help and teach shines right past the possible profit potential and that is straight from the Book of Miracles, which states, "Do what you love, and the money will follow". What an envious position to be in. Anyway, thanks again for all of your help and I'll be reading on and following your endeavors with great interest.

Richard

><}}}}'>

·
Registered
315 Posts
We have lots of bugs to work out and there will be lots of info pages covering every aspect of the sport. Kindo of an online book.

Thanks for the good wishes and encouragement and it is a labor of love. We just want to help anyway we can. That's been both of our philosphies all along before the business. Unfortunately there wasn't anywhere to send people as most of the kayak industry is clueless about kayak fishing. It helps that our business is the best place to get kayak fishing gear but you'll figure that out or one of the crew we've assisted will tell you that (lol). Seriously though the business isn't about the money but we feel that it will be profitable at some point. Having access to the gear and sharing is very rewarding. I like playing with toys and I've always enjoyed teaching and guiding. My favorite job was when I was a fishing guide in Baja. My ultimate goal in a few years is to set up a kayak and surf fishing guide service in central Baja and take clients into some unbelievably incredible fishing where you can catch fish like the ones shown in the pic. Those are a weafish species called White Sea Bass. They grow to over 100#s and I know where to catch lots of 20-40#ers. They fight like stripers.

I originally started the business last summer because it was more fun and safer to kayak fish with others. So I did it to help people get into the sport. I've spent a lot of days fishing with beginners and its so much fun to witness a newbies first kayak fish and get a picture of it. Kayak fishing is really catching on and now there's lots of people joining in. Last month we had almost 40 kayak fisherman meet at the Susky Flats in MD. Unfortunately Mother Nature was cruel and it even snowed shutting off a hot bite.

Lastly there are a couple of articles in Field in Stream. One in the May and the next in the June issues. The May should hit the newstands today or tomorrow. Check them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If you ever decide that you’d like to "get a fishing trip out of a trip" to Long Beach (LI) and can bring along an extra Kayak, let me know! :) There seems to be a real growing interest here for the sport. I went down to the beach on that really nice weekend we had two weeks ago and there were several "yakers" in the water and a few of them even looked like they might know what they were doing. But what would I know? Originally I thought I would be able to take one on the train with me. Oh well....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nightcaster

We wil be doing exactly that all over the region. I've been doing that in NJ since I first started out. There's only so much one can learn from reading. We won't however do the ocean with beginners. Its not the place. Back bays, etc. will be the place. We were going to do LNB Sunday but Mother Nature isn't cooperating.

A bunch of us are going to be fishing up on the Hudson for bass tomorrow. We've got between 10 and 20 guys showing up. Last month we had almost 40 kayak fisherman meet at the Susky Flats in MD. So keep an eye on this forum and we'll have some get togethers at least once a month and probably every second or third weekend.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey JonSS,
when you get a group together, etc... do you ever have extra boats, I know Joey wrote of some kind of demo days, in other words can a guy like me who does't yet own a boat, borrow/rent so i can tag along?
Also, have you guys ever fished the shoreline along Fairfield County, Connecticut - along the shore off of Stamford or Greenwich, or the rivers/ponds in the same areas? If not, will you come to my backyard, please?!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Empire Kayaks is located on Empire Blvd., right down the street from Pete's Clambar, just over the bridge on Long Beach Road.

They have protected water right behind the shop, and you can try any models you may be considering.

Believe it or not, YOU are the best authority on what YOU are comfortable in. Don't allow yourself to be "pre-sold" on a particular model or brand. You waited THIS long, what does another month mean?

Flounder

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have to agree with Flounder. Empire Kayak is a great place with kind,courteous and knowledgeble owners. Go there and you can try out more than a few different fishing kayaks in fishable protected waters. I bought mine there at a real low price and I'm very happy with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.