NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we near ice time, it's time to un-pack the tip-ups and check em over. We had a real good year here in the berkshires last season, looking forward to one this year(2002 will be my 39th year icefishing,"man am I getting old")
If any members want information on berkshire icefishing, let me know I would be glad to help. I always need info. on saltwater fishing.
Tight Lines!!!
Jim
Massachusetts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey! A fellow Pike man! I fish year 'round for them on the Ct River but winter is by far my favorite time. Where in the Berkshires do you fish? I hear Onata and the Housatonic in Sheffield have some big fish. I Fish a 20 mile stretch from Hartford to the south. Bring on the ice!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I might have to take you up on your offer...I would think you get ice at least 2 weeks before we do in Hartford. Especially in any backwaters that are out of the wind on the Housatonic.
How long is an average early ice pike up your way? What was the largest for you last year?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WaterWolf,
Last year we got first ice, dec. 16, That's pretty early, but it does happen, My biggest last year was 14lbs.3oz. My biggest here is 18lbs.2oz.(1999) Last year I and my fishing buddies took Many smaller Pike, anywhere from 5lbs. to 11lbs. all released, we keep 2or3 per year to eat, they are great eating. I would guess I took 17 to 20 pike and 3 tigers, no keeper tigers, 28 ins. is a keeper, but do they fight!!! and they are,to me,one of the most beautiful fish in fresh water. I have pics. but no scanner. Keep in touch and I will let you know how the ice looks as we get into Dec.

Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
waterwolf, sorry,you wanted length, A keeper is 27"or 28" we say 28" to be safe but we don,t keep them that size anyway, That 14lb.er was 40" On avg. a 28"to 30" pike here is aprox.10lbs. But as you know all that is up to how well they have fed aswell as many other things. That 18lb. fish was 42" but FAT! she had a fresh rainbow in her gullet that was 12-14" And she was still on the feed!! ( I had her mounted) A local guy got a 30Lb. Pike last year in Onota Lake, Late Ice. I hope that helps with your question.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hay WaterWolf,
I was fishing in the cove just to the west of the course, you guys spooked all the fish and a bunch came my way, Bass,pike,Trout,perch etc... I was the only one there for hours!! thanks and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
LOL...glad I could help. What a mess that weekend was...6" of water on top on Saturday and glare ice and wicked wind on Sunday. Our cones kept blowing away. Hopefully this year will be better...Now you know where to set up anyways

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.