NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DMR Consolidation: BAD IDEA

"Before the Appropriations Committee took testimony on Gov. John Baldacci's proposal to merge four natural resource departments, it spent a full hour Wednesday questioning the idea of folding the operations into one or two agencies."

------------------------

I cannot begin to explain how STUPID it would be for Maine to do this to the DMR. With the state of Maine's fishing industry and all that, the LAST thing we should be doing is getting rid of the agency that is charged with running fisheries and dealing with fishery rules and science. We need MORE from DMR, not less. If they get rid of the DMR and try and run the fisheries with some massive agency that would really cripple any chances of improving our fisheries here.

Was at this meeting yesterday in Augusta and it was great to see a great turnout from the Maine fishing industry. Dozens of people showed up. Hopefully the Maine legislature will open its eyes ASAP and see that it would be disastrous to go ahead with this plan to scrap DMR.

And I want to make sure to point out that it would be a disaster for all of the people from any of the four agencies that would be merged. Farmers and hunters would be hurt, not just fishermen.

Anyone from Maine should be outraged by this move, IMO. We all hope to see the resurgence of Maine's fisheries and that will be impossible without an effective agency running the show. The whole crowd (from fishermen to farmers and hunters) all felt that to go ahead with this plan would mean little hope for the future.

This post edited by twofinbluna 01:13 AM 02/01/2008

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One other thing that I wanted to point out was that, according to one of the state congressmen on the Marine Resources Committee, the Maine DMR budget is only a tiny percentage of the state budget...I cannot remember exactly but it was something like 3% or so, give or take. Given the importance of the ocean and the fisheries to this state, and the potential it has for this states economy and its people, how they could see a need to consolidate agencies is impossible to understand.

NOT ONLY THAT, but according to the comments I heard from a handful of very smart and respected people from the fishing community (including an ex-DMR commissioner), they likely would not end up saving any money from a consolidation plan. While I am no economist and have not seen any numbers or anything, I trust the people who made the comments as they are not the types to lie or BS to get what they want.

So, I ask again, WHAT is Baldacci possibly thinking????

This post edited by twofinbluna 01:14 AM 02/01/2008

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Of course consolidation isn't going to save money. When ever it comes to state and federal government the only way to save money is too decrease services.

When you bring together two departments, unless they are very similar, you keep the same number of people but you add a layer of Administration

I love the examples of ones that work. I wonder how everyone from NY feels about their new and improved DEC

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
guest wrote:
Of course consolidation isn't going to save money. When ever it comes to state and federal government the only way to save money is too decrease services.

When you bring together two departments, unless they are very similar, you keep the same number of people but you add a layer of Administration

I love the examples of ones that work. I wonder how everyone from NY feels about their new and improved DEC

Not necessarily true, very often what happens is that you keep the same number of people actually doing the work but you loose one layer of administration.

·
Registered
948 Posts
There isn't much left of the NY DEC marine burrow. They lost most everyone with any experience. When John Mason left, Byron Young took on John's roll as well as his own. When Byron retired Steve Hines inherited both John's and Byron's duties. Gorndon Colvin and Victor Vechio both left NY DEC in 2007 to work for NMFS. The one constant is Phil Berg who has been there since the late 1800's.

NY's capital is ~200 miles from the coast and it's marine district has always been the red headed step child in DEC budget considerations.

The DEC is gutted w/ the exception of enforcement which has grown.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guest wrote:

That was what I was thinking....good call guest.

Wateraye- again, good points, that what I was worried about when I heard about this plan up here.

This post edited by twofinbluna 05:05 PM 02/01/2008

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.