NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 23' hydra-sport that must have had a small air pocket under the gel coat. now I have a hole that I need to fill and replace the gel coat. fortunately it's in the ****pit area. the hole is about 3/8 of an inch deep by 3 1/2 inches long after I gouged it out. there is solid fiberglass all around. any Ideas on do it yourself or can someone recomend a good fiberglass guy.

The Sea-Cilian

·
Registered
257 Posts
If this gouge is on a flat surface it should be easy to repair. Get the gel coat repair kit from the manufacture, I did this with my boat and it seems that almost all gel-coat is made by a company called Spectrum Color (Auburn Washington). Call the dealer to get the number of the gel coat for your boat and then order direct from Spectrum. If the dealer does not have that information the call Spectrum Color and ask them, they will know. No match will be perfect but this is as close as you will get and the cost was around 20 dollars. When you get the gel-coat follow direction on the back. It is a paste that comes with a catalyst. Pick a warm dry day to do the work, the gel-coat will set faster and the steps are simple:

1. Mix enough gel-coat and catalyst to fill the gouge.
2. Fill gouge and let dry (about an hour).
3. Sand first with 220 wet sand paper followed by 400 to 500 grade wet sand paper

If you do not fill the gouge completely the first time you can repeat this process util you like the results, after that buff with rubbing compound. I did it and the results were quite good.

Good Luck

This message was edited by Calmwater on 3-16-02 @ 7:23 AM

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.