NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is great news for recreational catch and release striper fisherman! Although I realize that the cleanup will likely reintroduce PCBs into the food chain, resulting in higher PCB levels in Hudson River stripers, it will also hopefully trigger another moratorium on the sale of stripers thus ending their commercial harvest. Last time that happened the striper population exploded. Of course, you may also end up catching more three-eyed stripers than you now do!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mattyblazer said:

"The commercials gotta eat too"

But the fact is that nobody makes a living from the sale of Striped Bass.

Let's keep it that way, lest a "way of life" be threatened when it becomes a Gamefish!

Flounder

·
Premium Member
3,244 Posts
I am quite certian that I have seen the species down at the seaport (South Street) infact at least two varietys, farm raised and caught.
All I was saying is that they have a right to earn a living, feed their kids etc.

I guess that I am not as quick to wish away someones right to earn.
Happy Holidays, peace on earth?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I am surprised that no one has discussed this issue in detail yet. I am just curious, what is the effect on the ecosystem from this cleanup going to be. Should we stop eating the bass we catch, will the PCB's kill fish? How long will the process take, and how long will the effect from the cleanup go on?

Good Luck and Tight Lines

·
Premium Member
3,244 Posts
Hey BassMan,
Sensible issues do not apply here, it seems to me that its" how many can I get for me"
And screw the other issues. But I do enjoy reading hundreds of replys to question the limits of bass fishing size, quantity, etc.
You seem on the ball
Matt

·
Registered
473 Posts
Matty Blazer You couldn't be more wrong about the stripers that are not farm raised over in down town. Watch the bags of garbage catch short stripers right by the seaport and then run over to china town and sell the fish, they are not commercial fishermen, they are able bodied garbage that could find some sort of other job to support them selves, they have no right and it is illegal to take a short bass, it is even more illegal to sell that short bass right out of the hudson river(pcbs and all)last year I would go down there at lunch and harrass them and call dec, but it gets very frustrating when nothing is done about it.

They do not have the right to break thre law to make a living, using that logic its O.K. to sell crack or rob a bank or rob old ladies hand bags as long as your making a living and feeding your kids doing it especialy around the Hollidays

This message was edited by fourtwenty on 12-7-01 @ 11:33 AM

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hey Mattyblazer,
I'm still trying to figure out if I should break the back of an eel, or if I caught a schoolie a 12:01AM and let it go but it died that afternoon, can I keep a 30 inch fish that night.

Good Luck and Tight Lines

This message was edited by bassman909 on 12-7-01 @ 10:24 AM

·
Premium Member
11,914 Posts
It has already been discussed here. Check out "PCB's to be dredged in the Hudson". Posted on 8-5-01 by SCALAWAG.

·
Premium Member
3,244 Posts
Hey Four twenty,
I am not condoning illegal fishing, I am saying that if the fish are caught as per the law then who am I to stand in anybodys way. And as for the seaport, my buddy had DEC in his place all the time looking for some kind of tags on the farm raised stuff, and you are correct about the dirt-bags, They are recourceful, and disgusting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Matty: Of course the commercials have a right to earn, but at what cost? We have all seen the photos of hundreds of dead stiper shorts and young-of-the-year of a many other nontarget species lying dead on the beach as the discarded by-catch of haul seiners. I think as times change so to must the ways we think about things. Just because its "been a way of life" for X number of years doesn't mean that it should continue. I think that the issuance of new commercial fishing permits for stripers should be eliminated so that we don't introduce another generation to the wasteful ways, and those who already have them will eventually dwindle down by attrition. I also think the gov't should get involved and provide subsidies to help those who are dependent on commercial fishing to find alternative employment as it has done for other industries, e.g., farming.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.