NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at purchasing this unit.
For the price (which is a little high) it seems to have the most features, and best function from what I have read.

Although I hear the FM transmitter is not so good, and the battery life stinks (2 hours).

Main features that I need aside from good maps, are Bluetooth, and Traffic updates. A good FM transmitter and longer battery life would be good too.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this or other units that they could share.

Also seems like (in my area) Best Buy and 6th Ave Electronics has the best price on it. Aside from online orders who has the best price?

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
FredyFluke wrote:
I have been looking at purchasing this unit.
For the price (which is a little high) it seems to have the most features, and best function from what I have read.

Although I hear the FM transmitter is not so good, and the battery life stinks (2 hours).

Main features that I need aside from good maps, are Bluetooth, and Traffic updates. A good FM transmitter and longer battery life would be good too.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this or other units that they could share.

Also seems like (in my area) Best Buy and 6th Ave Electronics has the best price on it. Aside from online orders who has the best price?

I'm not familiar with that unit, but I doo have a Garmin 300. The battery life is a non-issue. The only time you'll be likely to use it outside your car is when you bring it into the house to update the maps. Rest of the time it'll be plugged into your cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
37,770 Posts
i have the 260

I picked this because it speaks the directions to you so you don't have to look at the screen, thus watching were you are driving as you should. I got it for my wife and it's great

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
MakoMike wrote:

I'm not familiar with that unit, but I doo have a Garmin 300. The battery life is a non-issue. The only time you'll be likely to use it outside your car is when you bring it into the house to update the maps. Rest of the time it'll be plugged into your cigarette lighter.

Wrong...battery life IS an issue. One of the big selling points of this model is that it is portable and can be used while on foot as well as in the car. It has things like a currency converter and an audio book player for use outside of the car, like when you're on a walking tour. Two hours stinks for such a device.

Freddy...I've heard good things about the Mio Digiwalker 720...bluetooth, text to speeach, built in camera. etc. I haven't seen it myself yet but I've liked their earlier models.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MakoMike wrote:
Mine does not have traffic updates or bluetooth, but what would you need bluetooth for?

my cellphone.
bluetooth in gps allows use of the gps as a speakerphone for your cellphone. A GPS that has an FM transmitter lets you pipe the phone into your car speakers. You can pull all your phones info onto the gps screen too. That helps with my other problem with cell phones, which is I can't see/read the friggin display on the phone anymore.

I got a ticket for talking on the cell already in the car. I don't want another one.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
farside wrote:
MakoMike wrote:

Wrong...battery life IS an issue. One of the big selling points of this model is that it is portable and can be used while on foot as well as in the car. It has things like a currency converter and an audio book player for use outside of the car, like when you're on a walking tour. Two hours stinks for such a device.

Freddy...I've heard good things about the Mio Digiwalker 720...bluetooth, text to speeach, built in camera. etc. I haven't seen it myself yet but I've liked their earlier models.

thanks fs..will take a look. do you know if it has traffic, and fm tranmitter?

I hear the MSN link does not work outside the car in the nuvi660 either. So a lot of these "so-called" portable atributes in this unit (which actually would require extended battery life) are actually null.
Also my main reason for this would be for "in the car", so I wonder if the battery issue is even taht important.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well I got the nuvi 660 the other day.
so far it's great. maps are good, screen is bright and menus are real easy to follow. Only had to look at the manual 1 once so far.
All the little features in the unit are pretty nifty!!

I got an extra 1gig sd card, that I am loading up with pics for a slide show. Bluethooth, travel alerts etc all work good. most people I call on the units speaker tell me they can hear me loud and clear!!.
the only issue I have so far is with the FM transmitter. In my area, I can't seem to get a very clear signal. There is static in the background most of the time on the channel that the unit auto selects.
I'm going to play around with it to see if I can't get it working better.
So far the battery has been a non-issue for me. Will see what happens.

FF rates Garmin NUVI 660 with

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a Garmin 680 which is just the 660 with a few uneeded by me bells and whistles. I saw a pallet of the 680's in COSTCO the other day for $465. I think I paid $675 about 6 months ago.

As far as a unit to get you places its works better and is more user friendly than any car GPS I have ever used. I had two built in units in a Mercedes and a Toyota Highlander and have used 3 different portable units. This one is by far the best. The MSN link for traffic is next to useless, I would never pay for it after the free year.

One note I do not like the suction cup mount, it falls off frequently. I bought a mount which is attached to the dash. The unit comes off the mount in seconds without having to disconnect the wire. I keep mine on the left cornor of my dasboard where I can see it and still see the road. Also in that spot I put a soft knit cap over it when I am out of the car, which makes it hard to see (By thieves.)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Garmen 260

I bought one for my wife a few weeks ago. She LOVES it!
"Text to Speech" is a GREAT feature. I originally read about that on the Consumer Reports web site. (By the way, "Tom Tom" brand units were rated poorly).
We didn't want any stuff like "Bluetooth" (which stinks on my cell phone). Also, we already have "Sirius" for weather and news.
The stores were selling the Garmen 260 for $350 on sale, but I brought in a newspaper ad for $275. PC Richards in Patchogue matched the price!!! (My Uncle did the same thing at PC Richards near Setauket)
GPS is a SUPER gift! I highly recommend them!!

·
Registered
18,277 Posts
FredyFluke wrote:
MakoMike wrote:
Mine does not have traffic updates or bluetooth, but what would you need bluetooth for?

my cellphone.
bluetooth in gps allows use of the gps as a speakerphone for your cellphone. A GPS that has an FM transmitter lets you pipe the phone into your car speakers. You can pull all your phones info onto the gps screen too. That helps with my other problem with cell phones, which is I can't see/read the friggin display on the phone anymore.

I got a ticket for talking on the cell already in the car. I don't want another one.

I believe the bluetooth uses the FM of your radio for sounds. Mewaning if you live in a city, you might have ahard time finding a good open fm signal for you to ise. When I got my first iPos, I bought an FM transmitter for it and could not find an open FM staion. If I did, it would pick up some other signal if I drove around.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Picked up a NUVI200 at PC Richard 2 days ago for $200. Has all the basic features. I dont need bluetooth (have a headset) or traffic updates (listen to 1010WINS) and I certainly dont need to be distracted by a slideshow while Im driving!

·
Registered
37,770 Posts
Say no to sucktion cups

Due to major thefts of these units, theives are breaking into cars even if you remove the sucktion cup. They see the marks on the winshield and break in anyway to look in the glove box or under the seat.

I got the sandbag thing( works great ) and you can place it anywere and take it with you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.