NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I know do a search.....

I have read through all the old threads and could not find exactly what I was looking for. I figured I may have better luck like this:

Soooo with the Garmin combo joints, which of the following would be the best bet??? Anyone currently using one?

Garmin GPS map:
178C
188C
420 with a ducer
440 " "

(all are currently available NIB on ebay for around $500 bucks, which is my budget range)--(If using ebay, remember to get store receipt for warranty purposes!)

For starters, I lean towards the Garmin GPS MAP 178c , just because the features seem comparable to the newer units, and I don't like the way the display splits top/bottom as opposed to left/right on the rest of the models. Can this be switched to a left/right split on the newer models?? I just like the way the unit is layed out, and everything seems to be pretty straight forward. Not that thrilled with the fish finders supposed lack of performance though....

I guess if Lowrance didn't have so many SUPPOSED issues (warranty/cust-serv., gps/satellite acquiring issues, and over-all reliability) that I would be looking at one of those units mainly because of their fish finder's high ratings...

If money and space were no option I would probably be going Furuno, with individual units for both....

Several people mentioned the 178c in other threads as being decent. However a newer version (420) can be had for similar money:

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also the 498c comes with blue chart g2 technology, where as you would have to buy it for the 178c. Not sure if it comes with the newer 420 series...

Mad Mahi u out there?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.