NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Garmin 162 gps and I am considering purchasing the Mapsource blue chart CD for the region I fish (NH & Maine). Anyone have any thoughts on this product regarding accuracy and detail as compared to the paper nauticle charts?

From what Garmin says, they use the actual NOAA charts to develop the electronic ones. You download the charts you need into your GPS unit vs the blue chart chip you place in the more expensive units.

My fear is the mark of the submerged rock at low tide which didn't make it into the electronic chart.

Thanks
Capt. Marc

This message was edited by Capt. Marc on 2-3-02 @ 1:03 AM

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Hi Capt. Marc,

I have the garmin map 76 handheld which uses a version of "map source" on c.d. format, when I went hunting this year upstate I loaded the street map software for the reigon and it showed dirt roads. I know that this has nothing to do with the boat but the attention to detail is impressive to say the least, not to mention that the web site has software updates. Now, the marine software shows wrecks and obstruction warnings, and also the usual bouys and markers. I am very picky about my "stuff", and I am completely satisfied with my product. Hope this helps you out.

Matt

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the same unit and use the Mapsource Topo cd. I mainly use it to pinpoint wreck & reef locations. The GPS numbers are not 100% acurate but are close. So now I use it to manage my waypoints and routes. I also have an older version of the Cap'n charting software wich uses the NOAA survey maps. I have found this software very accurate 90% of the time. Any discrepancy's seem to be in the map it self and not the sofware. I have tested this by marking actual locations with my gps and coparing the numbers to both Mapsource and Cap'n.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Capt Marc
I have a Garmin 162 and loaded some LI Sound maps from the TopoMap East Coast software CD package. I was a little disapointed in the Topo software since some of the downloaded submaps for the East end did not have depth contours on them. I questioned Garmin on this and their answer was "that's what you get with this package".
All that being said, I think the Garmin 162 is a fine GPS and the Blue charts are probably a big improvement over the Topo maps for fishing applications.Just my .02.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Capt Marc
I have a Garmin 162 and loaded some LI Sound maps from the TopoMap East Coast software CD package. I was a little disapointed in the Topo software since some of the downloaded submaps for the East end did not have depth contours on them. I questioned Garmin on this and their answer was "that's what you get with this package".
All that being said, I think the Garmin 162 is a fine GPS and the Blue charts are probably a big improvement over the Topo maps for fishing applications.Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input. After reading the info you proided I decided to gie it a try.

I think the topo maps are different then the new garmin blue charts. I bought the CD and downloaded seeral charts into the unit. I am ery pleased with the infomation detailed on the chart and it appears to match the NOAA chart ery closely. After turning up the amount of infomation displayed, the detail was real good.

Time will tell once I am on the water but so far in simulator mode it looks good.

Thanks again.

Capt. Marc

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the 162 for over a year now and love it. The 182 uses the blue chart chip and the 162 uses dowloadable software. From the topo cd I have downloaded the whole N.Y. bight area out 10 miles. I never tried to put more info on it but I think it will take more. I only use contours from maps as a reference. (don't trust them.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
New 162 user here, will be installing the unit in a few weeks. I bought the 162, and a friend had the mapsource cd, so we downloaded the regional maps for the northeast. My question is there a software download avail for this unit that will list depths, the mapsource has good detail but no depth charts....I fish the RI/Ma area....
Thanks

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Doca- Chances are your friend's CD is a little out dated. Whatever, you can purchase the GARMIN BLUE CHART CD that has the depth contours you seek. They have a CD for the Americas.

Make sure that your 162 is compatible for the download. It should be, but double check!!

That CD contains all the charts available on the GARMIN pre-programmed BLUE CHART cards. You need to determine which chart you want to download and UNLOCK it (enter the serial number for your unit). You get only one unlock for the CD. It will only work on your unit and you will not be able to download it to any other unit. If you want to download additional charts, you can purchase more unlock codes from GARMIN.

The MSRP for the CD is $150. There is a $50 rebate program now in effect. But you have to purchase the CD and the unit within a specified time period (maybe 10 or 14 days?) to qualify.

Hope this helps!

Mad Mahi

TSLTW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually you can use the blue charts for two units when you buy the cd. SO if you and a friend bought a cd each you could get two areas onto your unit. Or you can download the cd to two differnent units you may own, say a hand held and a fixed mount.

Capt. Kirk

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kvrsos,

You can download about 10 charts into the unit. When using the software and you are selecting charts you see how much the memory is every time you add a chart to the list before you actually download them. I was able to download all the charts I need and some I didn't. If you need more or want to swap some you can always erase the old and reinstall new ones. You save the list of charts you use on your computer.

There is a adjustment to show how much detail you want to see. With is on high you see everything including depth contors and readings like the noaa charts.

The only difference between the 162 and the more expensive machines is basically the size and color of the screen. You will get the same detail no matter what machine you buy since it reads the same chart. The ultimate if you have a cabin is to mate it to a cheap laptop and use the software it comes with for real time tracking. Since the price of the higer end garmins is more then a cheap laptop with a much better machine, once I have a larger boat with a cabin I will go for the laptop-162 system.

doca3

I don't think you got the Bluechart part of the Mapsource product line.

So far so good using the simulator. Will let everyone know in a few weeks how it goes.

Capt. Marc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.