NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent this to garmin,still no reply so I'll ask you guys........

I have a garmin 498 f.f/gps combo unit on my boat,It worked great for 2 months then started to act funny. My gps works perfect, but the depth,fish finder will work some time's . it will read fine at first then gets stuck on same screen blinking depth, an hour later it reads fine then back to blinking depth ,some times it reads crazy depths of 600 feet while in only 40 feet ! transducer is clean and installed in correct spot (like I said it worked perfect)
could I have a bad transducer? It's the trans mount one that came with unit. If so is there a better quality transducer I can buy for this unit? Or am I stuck sending this unit in for repair ?

thanks,Tim

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
check to see if your software in the unit is updated, does the fishfinder frozen up when you are driving, or when you are at ancor??? my friend hummindbird was doing the same thing last season, i took it home and load the new update from humminbird, and the blinkind/frozen screen problem was solve.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
boloranks wrote:
check to see if your software in the unit is updated, does the fishfinder frozen up when you are driving, or when you are at ancor??? my friend hummindbird was doing the same thing last season, i took it home and load the new update from humminbird, and the blinkind/frozen screen problem was solve.

It does both some times , some times just when still.

and firefighter,I know it's discontinued...of coarse thats what happens right after I bought it !!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
basslegend wrote:
boloranks wrote:

It does both some times , some times just when still.

and firefighter,I know it's discontinued...of coarse thats what happens right after I bought it !!

First thing to is to check the sounder module when it is on. There is an LED that will be green or red and might be solidly lit, or flashing. Look at your manual under "Trouble Shooting" and it will tell you what the colors and flashing sequence mean.

It could be a bad transducer (common). It might be the sounder module.

Once you get the "trouble code", CALL GARMIN and tell them the problem.

If it is under warranty, they usually ship replacement units at no cost or shipping costs only. If it out of warranty, they might repair at flat rate or offer you a refurbished unit at a great discount.

Here is the number:

Contact Support

North America

(for all Garmin products except Apollo aircraft)

Hours of Operation
* Monday - Friday
* 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
* Central time (closed holidays)

Phone
* 1-800-800-1020 (U.S.)
* 1-866-429-9296 (Canada) or (913) 397-8200

This post edited by Mad Mahi 08:08 AM 02/10/2008

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Here's what I would do

They are notorious for great GPS and crappy sonar. You say your GPS works fine...Dont do anything. Keep it on the GPS screen and go get yourself a furuno or Raymarine sounder. Both companies have inexpensive units that you can pick up for prob. less than you will pay Garmin for repair, shipping...etc etc etc.:(

Furuno ls4100 $224 w/ transom mount (B/W but excllent performance)

Raymarine ds400x $299 W/ transom mount (color and digital but...tiny screen)

I have the same unit you do and I never use the FF even though it works ok...thats how little confidence I have in it. I have a Furuno LS4100 and im thinking of Upgrading to the fcv620
(depending on the size of the tax return):rolleyes:

Good luck and let us know what happens either way

This post edited by BLUEFISH9 08:29 AM 02/10/2008

·
Registered
661 Posts
498 GPS/Fishfinder Combo unit!

..I get asked this all the time at the retailer which I work for during the winter months. The unit is a great "combo unit" But to add to what others have said there might be a software update for the unit which shouldn't require sending the unit back to garmin..Simply getting the update info chip and placing it in the card slot on the front of the unit might be the ticket..

Mad Mahi wrote check the sounder modulator??? The 498 dosen't have a "BLACK BOX" like other units may require. the 498 right out of the box is a GPS/FISHFINDER. One plug on the back is for the power plug. That has a pigtail off of it which the XDUCER plugs right into.

Put the unit into "Simulation Mode". Is this unit a internal or external Antenna? Really shouldn't matter but disconect the Antenna from unit if it is. Let the unit run for a bit while in Simulation mode. If the unit freezes up or gives you the same problems that you are having while NOT in Simulation mode, Have unit checked by Garmin. If you have access to this unit now Disconect and bring unit in to a Garmin Retailer. I work in the West Marine in West Islip. I would be Glad to check it for you...

I believe this unit has an 18 pin plug for power. You can purchase an 18 pin AC/PC power plug for the unit so you can plug it in to a regular house outlet and play with it or enter Lat/Longs from your LazyBoy in the Livingroom...

PM me with any other Questions you may have about this unit...

Just trying to Help...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had this unit and the same thing happened to me. The problem I had was that the fish finder was not set to auto depth but was set to a depth that was way out of range of the depth I was in. This caused my unit to blink constantly and give off readings.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I stand corrected...never realized the 498 didn't utilize a GSD 21 "Black Box", I defer to SomedayCame's suggestion....

This post edited by Mad Mahi 10:54 AM 02/10/2008

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.