NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a Garmin 182 with the chip for chart info. Does any one have one. I sure could use some feed back here. I down loaded the user manual from Garmins website...seems like a nice machine at a fair price.
Makomagic

· Registered
66 Posts
MakoM.
I own the 232 c/p with the m/chip
there is so much info. on it that
you can blot out the screen. wrecks
bouys-depth lines -shipping lanes
under water cables if any where you
are and much much more. ITs easy to
use [thats why i have one] The only
thing to watch for is the screen SIZE.
If you have good eyes [i don't] that
size is fine. But if the boat is a
rockin you will be doing some hunting
on a small screen.
$615.98-ext. ant.----c/map 136.00

good luck-steve

· Registered
15 Posts
You might want to hold off on the $150 bluechart software. I talked to a guy at Garmin and he told me they will be offering a new more detailed package of software, in bluechart that will also offer the Hot Fishing Spots rolled into it detailed. Other improvements also.

· Registered
65 Posts
I,ve had a garmin for a few years they make great stuff, thats easy to use. When a button sais "Go To" it means exactly that! There are more expensive models on the market, some of them designed by eggheads, that don,t fish, for example I bought a unit, that to turn it on ,you hit the on, off, button, To shut it off, you had to hit 1 function and hold the off button second, absolutely ridiculous. If the price fits your range, they are good units, accurate and easy to use! good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys,
I have owned a model 48 garmin and a 128 garmin GPS.The chart plotter thing is new to me.I am out fitting a new boat.I mostly fish offshore and need a GPS and loran.I was hoping someone had some experience with this particulal unit as they have changed the key pad a bit. No more "go-to" now its a nav button and a menu. I dont want to have to drag out a manual every time I want to use the machine. The other Garmins I had were a piece of cake to use and I was hoping this one was user friendly also.
Thanks Glenn

· Registered
1,679 Posts
Makomagic,

I looks like a decent unit. I have the 162 and this year will be my first. I believe the only difference is the size of the screen and the 182 takes the chip where I load mine in from a cd.

I hope my fishing hot spots aren't on the CD. I don't have much faith on that product. They may get you in the general area. without seeing it I really shouldn't knock it too much. Anyone out there get a phone call from Garmin soliciting your fishing hot spots?

Capt. Marc

· Registered
4 Posts
Glen,

I used ot own the 128 model and now just purchased the 182. It was installed on my new boat last week. I played with one at West Marine for about an hour one day and without the manual I could figure out most of the functions. It is really user friendly as has been commented on other boards that I have read. The Blue Chart Chip can be picked up for $129 at onlinemarine.com. The detail this chip shows is fantastic and it really is easy to use. Thse chip also covers all the areas I will be fishing N and S of the Cape. I have read the manual on Garmin's site and that makes it seem more difficult than it really is. I really look forward to navigating with it this year and the resolution is really nice for a BW unit. I don't regret purchasing it, by the way it also came out in color but that model is $300 more. <*///><

Kevin

· Registered
2,201 Posts
I have a Garmin 180 chart plotter with Chip (pre blue chip) It's great, has more functions than I can use! The only thing I can say is, do you think your eyes are getting any better? If not I would buy the biggest display unit I could afford and really think about how close to the helm I want it. Mine is great, but I have trouble seeing it! even with bifocals! P.S. Sometimes when you are using it, your not even at the helm (certain fishing situations!)
Good Luck!

· Registered
2,201 Posts
I have a Garmin 180 chart plotter with Chip (pre blue chip) It's great, has more functions than I can use! The only thing I can say is, do you think your eyes are getting any better? If not I would buy the biggest display unit I could afford and really think about how close to the helm I want it. Mine is great, but I have trouble seeing it! even with bifocals! P.S. Sometimes when you are using it, your not even at the helm (certain fishing situations!)
Good Luck!

· Registered
202 Posts
My partner and I did alot of research on the garmin 182, like Hipshot said the monochrome is a little hard to see. we are waiting for the 182color which is not avaiable now, due to a tornado back in December at the factory. It's on backorder until the middle of april. I spoke with several dealers and they all highly recommend this unit, Good luck

Capt. JAY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, I went to West marine and played with the units in simulator mode. The larger 232 model is the way to go, eyes ain't what they used to be.Unit is different than the older Garmin models I'm use to, but I figured it out in no time, just by playing with it.
Thanks again Glenn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.