NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to offshore fishing and am currently in the process of setting up chunking and trolling rigs for the upcoming fishing season and have a basic question. Is the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle 4X Strong 7/0 - 8/0 heavy enough for chunking for Yellow Fin Tuna and is the Gamakatsu Octopus SE 4X 8/0 - 9/0 strong enough for trolling lures for Yellow Fin Tuna????
thanks in advance for you observations

·
Registered
848 Posts
go for the Mustad 3996OD 12/0 Circle Hooks for chunking they are cheap and are the best hooks for chunking. the 11/0, 12/0, and 13/0s are the best sizes i have found for 40, 60, 80 fluro.

This post edited by 06405 07:13 PM 01/04/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
The gamakatsu circle hooks are just a little light for chunking in my opinion. i have had the thinner shank hooks by them shatter on me. There heavy duty live bait hooks are very good, but they are not circles. As Blake said, the mustads are strong and are cheaper than gamakatsus. The mustad 3996OD comes in 100 hook packs in 12/0 13/0 and 14/0 for about $25 or $30

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Gamkatsu

Standard or 4x strong gamakatsu circles aint gonna cut it for canyon chunkin, but these gamakatsu LIVE BAIT circles (at the bottom of the page) are quite strong. The mustads that blake showed are excellent as well. Owner mutus/super mutus are another, pricier alternative. For trolling look at Mustad 7691 in either stainless or duratin. Again Owner jobus would be a sick hook for trolling, but probably twice the price of the mustads.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Gamakatsu Live Bait H.D. or Live Bait H.D. Circles have always worked for us. Have never had one break and they hold up better in the elements (less rust).

Octopus hooks are not strong enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.