NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to drop everyone a line on the fishing this season in San Cristobal - Galapagos, Ecuador with Pete Santini and the crew of the Sea Hands. We just completed the first days of fishing and even though the water is still a degree or two cooler than it should be, Pete and his guys still managed to get the group on the fish.

The group consisted of Steve Vasaka, Bill & Chris Thompson, and Len Vallender. Though the numbers are below what they should be, all the fish are huge. In the first three days they boated 6 striped marlin ranging from 250-325lbs and has 22 strikes. They also dropped a huge blue marlin. Of course there are plenty of yellowfin tuna around and some monster Bigeyes.

Everything has been caught on big Black Barts, Joe Yee, and Marlin Magic lures. I am here only as an observer to shoot some video and stills, and to learn more about the fishery.

We also spent a couple of hours yesterday shing inshore an used butterfly jigs to catch big groupers, snappers, cabrillos, and loads of other un-identifiable fish.

I will keep everyone posted on our progress, the next group of anglers arrives today and we head back out tomorrow. Here are some pics:

This post edited by locascios 05:29 PM 01/15/2008

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Andy,
what's the scoop on the legality of fishing down there? Last year or the year before Pete was saying that it was perfectly legal and others were saying that it was totally illegal. Any idea if that situation has been strightened out. At the time all I could find was in Spanish from the park authorities and they said that it was illegal to fish for 40 miles around the islands.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Legality of Fishing and more...

I am shooting some film, but only for my own personal use...

As for the legality, it is completely legal to Marlin fish outside of the park boundaries. Every day we get a permit and file a passenger list for the trip. It is an offshore trip, and you are only allowed to do that.

This issue keeps coming up again and again, but the rules that are currently in place have been in place for several years.

We scored another huge striped marlin today, well over 200lbs...we also had alot of yellowinfin tuna action up to 50lbs in Yo-Zuri surface cruisers. We saw some huge Bigeye Tuna but did not hook up. Tomorrow is another day!

Andy

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
locascios wrote:
I am shooting some film, but only for my own personal use...

As for the legality, it is completely legal to Marlin fish outside of the park boundaries. Every day we get a permit and file a passenger list for the trip. It is an offshore trip, and you are only allowed to do that.

This issue keeps coming up again and again, but the rules that are currently in place have been in place for several years.

We scored another huge striped marlin today, well over 200lbs...we also had alot of yellowinfin tuna action up to 50lbs in Yo-Zuri surface cruisers. We saw some huge Bigeye Tuna but did not hook up. Tomorrow is another day!

Andy

Amdy,
Thanks for that. Have a great time and go catch some momsters!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.