NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchsed G.Loomis surfing Rod and this rod is great.

Being concerned for expensive piece of equipment thit is, I called to inquire on G.Loomis warranty service in case something happends to the rod and I need service. Also, important role of this purchase played the promise of the G.LOOMIS LIFETIME WARRANTY.

So, here are the rules: if you send the dameged rod for repairs you pay shipping + $20 fee or pay $50 fee and you get the replacement rod. If G.Loomis determines that damage to the rod was your fault or the rod is missing in shipping, you pay full price of the rod on top of the $50 fee. Shouldn't expensive retail price of the rod include all that?

How the heck in the world do you claim this to be a lifetime warranty? I have heard some horror stories about the warranty including G.Loomis rods but this makes no sense. Am I wrong? Please advice and share your stories. Were you treated fairly by G.Loomis?

· Registered
10,661 Posts
Hi,

I have seen G Loomis rods broken thru misuse several years ago. At that time you went back to where the rod was purchased, paid something like $45 and got a new rod. How can you complain about that?

I am not familiar with their present warrantee. Most rods are broken by the anglers thru abuse and misuse.

Neil

This post edited by Captneilf 06:23 AM 03/26/2008

· Registered
2,649 Posts
Most lifetime warrantys wether it be G Loomis or some other product you might purchase will have limitations.Many consumers need to understand this,You were smart in finding out what limitations that life time warranty had.Unfortunatly it was after you purchased the rod.

Did you really think they would replace the rod for free under any circumstane?To me that warranty doesnt sound bad.G loomis makes good products,I do not use them anymore because I feel there are just as sensative rods out there that will be far more foregiving.They are super sensative rods but not the most durable,and thats what you give up when you choose G loomis.That is exactly what Gary loomis will tell you if you get him on the phone.

High modulas 100% graphite rods dont do well with braid.Especially when its rated higher than the rod rating.

Good luck with youre rod just be carefull and im sure it will serve you well.

· Registered
1,580 Posts
For an expensive custom rod, yes I would think they would replace it free if it broke.
I broke an ugly stick last season. I was lifting in a big fish and it just snapped.
I went back to my local bait/tackle store where I purchased it the year before. I didn't even have the receipt, and he replaced it free of charge. (they have a 3 year warranty). No hassles at all. That is how it should be:)

I also broke a guide and the reel seat came loose on one of my expensive custom rods. I went back to where I purchased that (it had a "lifetime guarenttee") and even though the rod was a few hundred dollars, they charged top dollar for parts and labor to replace the parts. I would have been better off having them replaced at my local bait store. At the very least, I would expect the labor to be free even if he had to charge me for the parts.

This post edited by Musella 08:37 PM 03/25/2008

· Registered
356 Posts
vipclubber,

I have a SUR1064s and the tape on the handle started to part. They said send it back with me paying for the shipping, as indicated to you, and also offered me the $50.00 quick exchange. I kinda thought that was big of them even-thought I never sent it back. It cost me $30.00 to ship waders back to Orvis but I got a brand new pair in it's stead. The same goes of a Saltiga Surf,,,they repalce all the gears and I didn't have to oay a thing.

Even on a Lifetime Warranty I really doubt any company is going to pick up the shipping. I just hope nothing ever happens to my 10 or 11 foot rods.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NOT ABUSE

How many G.Loomis owners ($200-$400 range rods) have you seen abuse their rods? Yes, most beginners have to learn their lesson but they do not own G.Loomis or any high priced custom rods. We all have been there.

The issue of the Lifetime warranty is discussed here based on the manufacturer's damage, product defects and reasonable natural occurances. We are not discussing abuse. In some cases, there are KNOWN manufacturers errors that cause tips to snap, cork to peel and reel seats to get loose. These issues are known and FACT.

When you call G.Loomis, to learn of their warranty should you be assumed a beginner and rod-abuser? Why should I pay (except shipping) for this Highly reputable rod to be replaced on top of its expensive price and backed by what they claim to be a lifetime warranty? How would one even determine (unless it's clear) if the rod was abused as oppose to reasonable damage?

This post edited by vipclubber 12:51 PM 03/26/2008

· Registered
3,981 Posts
For comparison, I sent my 8wt. St. Croix fly rod to Wisonsin twice due to my fault. (Snapped tip). For around $20 and shipping cost they replaced the top half and that rod retailed for around $130 back in the mid 90's. Turn around time was about two weeks. :)

· Registered
6 Posts
G. Loomis warranty

I think you are mistaken. The $50 exchange is "no questions asked". The only time you wind up being billed for the rod is when you don't send the damaged rod back. Below is the warranty that I have cut and pasted from their site.

Pete

Xpeditor Program Details
A broken rod will never keep you off the water again. With the G.Loomis Xpeditor Service you can get a brand new rod to replace a broken one, delivered to your doorstep in as little as two days. Even if you?re on a trip away from home (anywhere in the U.S.). No questions asked, no waiting around for warranty claims, and it saves you the usual hassle and expense of packaging, insuring and shipping your broken rod. Plus, you avoid any and all fees for rod repair.

Here?s how it works. Contact our Customer Service Department (1-800-GLOOMIS) and request the G.Loomis Xpeditor Service. Let us know whether you have a factory built rod or a custom built rod using a G.Loomis blank. Tell us the model number and rod series. If we no longer offer the model that you broke, we will replace it with what we determine to be the closest comparable model from our current product line. Pending stock availability, we will ship you a current replacement rod or blank (depending on what you broke) via standard ground delivery. Then when you receive your new rod or blank, simply remove it from the shipping tube, place the broken rod or blank into that same tube and affix the enclosed, pre-paid shipping label on the outside of the tube. Once you hand off the package to your delivery agent, you?re done and back on the water. The cost: $50 for standard ground delivery in the Continental U.S. or $65 for 2-day service in the Continental U.S. or shipments to Alaska/Hawaii. Just charge it with your Master Card or Visa. Demo rods, pushpoles and reels are excluded from this program. It's faster, less expensive and more "user-friendly" than any other option available (except maybe avoiding breakage altogether). If you do not return the broken rod within 30 days of the receipt of your replacement rod, you authorize G. Loomis to charge your credit card for the full manufacturer?s suggested retail price of the replacement rod in addition to the $50 or $65 already paid.

· Registered
128 Posts
psilvers is 100% correct. If you use the Xpeditor service you pay the $50 fee and they send you your new rod immediately. When you get the new rod you put your broken rod in the tube and send it back with the pre paid label provided. As long as you send them back the rod you are not charged a penny. I have done it more then once with breaks that were obviously my fault and have never had a problem. To say that the $50 fee is high Ill just say try returning a fully gauranteed rod for which you have to pay shipping on and it wont be far from $50. In my opinion the Xpeditor service is about as good as it gets.

· Registered
128 Posts
VIPCLUBBER, Just a point of info, The Shimano Tiraleju surf rods come with a 100% over the counter replacement warranty. Just return it to any Shimano dealer for over the counter replacemant , No Questions Asked.

· Registered
177 Posts
Several years ago I snapped my loomis imx in my car door (idiot)....
I mean it broke while lifting a fish. I contacted loomis, and shipped the rod to them in Wa. state. I had to pay for the shipping both ways, rod was replaced no questions asked. It was a pleasant experience. This was several years ago, so policies may have changed.

· Banned
6,641 Posts
wrote:
How many G.Loomis owners ($200-$400 range rods) have you seen abuse their rods? Yes, most beginners have to learn their lesson but they do not own G.Loomis or any high priced custom rods. We all have been there.

i can't tell you how many people i have seen fishing with g.loomis rod's, high end lami's and or st. croix's that are brand spanking new into the sport. lami probably has the best wtty but you certainly pay for it in the rods. if there wtty was not as strong the price could be significantly less.

lommis is very fair with there wtty and service. its been a quite a few years since i have had to send one back but they were great about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.