NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a gift certificate from my sons to the local tackle shop. I was planning on buying a G.Loomis/BounceBackRod--BBR-966-C Gl-2 Power-6
8-ft. Line 25-45/3-10oz. I was planning on using it for blackfishing. I this a good idea?
<*)))><

JackFish56 <*)))><

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Jack.

What a great Christmas present.

I am not familiar with this particular rod. Looking at the Loomis catalog it sounds like it will do the job.

I have built on their SW blanks. A rod in this series that will work is the SWR84-40C, 7', 30-50 # test, fast tip, med to heavy action.

See if your local tackle shop carries each model. Ceiling poke each rod to get a feel for the tip action. Better yet, install a reel, run line thru guides/tip and have someone hold the line as you lift the rod as in fighting a fish.

As Gary Loomis said in a magazine article, Would you rather have a rod that is more sensitive or more durable.

Check out the Loomis insurance policy. For $45 they will replace a broken rod asap.

I know they use Loomis rods for blacks in western Long Island Sound but I don't know which models. Maybe someone else can add to this thread especially if they have used either of these rods.

Have fun picking your new rod.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
518 Posts
One of my alltime favorite blackfish blanks. Also great for bucktailing and eeling off the Northfork at the Race, Plum Gutt and the Sluiceway.

The blank is an a high modulus graphite blank that works great with mono line. I would hesitate using it with braid though. You can't swing to hard or you can blow up the rod.

Happy New Year All,

Al G.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.