NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10,661 Posts
Hi Leprechaun,

Very well stated. Not much I can add to your post. I did read an article where Gary Loomis stated, Would you rather have a rod that was 10% more sensitive or 10% more durable. I think that says mucho about how they design their blanks.

Regarding the replacement of "broken rods". This can turn into a can of worms. I think it is wonderful how these companies replace rods and blanks so frequently. As a custom rod builder it places me between a rock and a hard place. I think if a product is defective it should be replaced or fixed. However, if the consumer causes the destruction, he/she should be honest about it and accept the responsibility. LOL!!!!
That being said, if a manufacturer is willing to replace the product, go for it!!! It would be foolish not to.

In regards to an insurance policy. It seems to me the Company is trying to cover some of its cost. As I understand it, Loomis replaces the rod very quickly no questions asked. That is great if you need to use the rod in a few days. Otherwise you might have to wait too long a time for another Company to replace the rod.

Early last year a fare was using his Loomis rod for the first time. His rod was in a rod holder during the ride back to the dock. The seas were heavy with winds blowing. I walked to the back of the boat to check something. I was bounced around while walking the deck. After returning to the wheel house I looked aft. I noticed a rod that had an awkward bend to it. Hmmmm! I went to check it out. The rod was cracked where it would hit the top on the engine cover. Since everyone was under cover, it must have been caused by me. Now what do I do??? I knew who the owner was so I offered to replace his new rod. I was fortunate that it only cost me $45 to replace his Loomis rod.

Most companies have their products built off shore (other countries). Their labor costs are minimal compared to having the products made in the U. S. A. So they can replace products much less expensively.

How does a custom rod builder handle this same problem? Broken rod, factory replaces rod and customer expects his local custom rod builder to build on the replacement blank at no charge. Hmmmm!!! What to do!!!

How would you handle this?????

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

· Registered
10,661 Posts
Hi Leprechaun,

I have been fortunate in that my clients have not tried to rip me off. If a rod breaks ??? and the factory replaces the blank I work with them. I feel 50% labor cost plus component costs is fair.

Had 2 rods returned broken this year. Both rods had synthetic line used on them when they should have used mono. They are getting new rods and now realize that limitations of blanks in regard to synthetic line.

I have had others fall or step on rods and they are upfront about what happened and offer to pay to get replacements.

Sounds like you take very good care of your equipment.

I will be at the Nassau Colesium Show the next 4 days at the Shinne**** Star booth. Please stop by and introduce yourself. Would be nice to meet you.

Capt Neil

· Registered
10,661 Posts
Hi Leprechaun.

Thanks for refreshing my memory. Sorry but I'm terrible when my memory is involved.

Fortunately I still remember where I caught Fish. HA!!!

Will be at NC Colesium next 4 days at the Shinne**** Star booth.

Capt Neil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.