NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 17ft Aquasport CC. I have been progressively running leaner on the fuel intake. The engine (100hp Yamaha is only 3 yrs old) does not seem to be the problem. The engine runs great for about the first 5-10 minutes at all rpms and then just slows to about 7 mph at full throttle and labors as it tries to pull more gas. I'm assuming that there is a restriction in the gas line. I may have picked something up at some point when I refueled either this year or last. Any thoughts on how I can clean the tank and the fuel line. I will start by replacing the fuel filter. I'm wondering what I need to do if that doesn't solve the problem. Any thoughts?

MC

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't have a specific answer for you, but I have called my local marine mechanic a couple of times when I had engine trouble & he had no problem pointing me in the right direction. That might be worth a shot if no one else has an answer for you.

Good luck,

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

This message was edited by SteveByrne on 11-5-01 @ 5:20 PM

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Porgy man,
`I can think of two options,buy or borrow a 6 gal tank with a ball and fuel line and run your engine then.The other thing to check is inline fuel filters,I run a Suzuki and it has a half dozen little fine cone shaped filters in hidden spots,inside fuel lines near connectors,before high pressure pump,ect.ect.You might even have a hose that is collapsing(dry rotting on the inside)
paulie

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 19'6 Aquasport and had the same problem last year and I noticed the ball kept collapsing. I replaced the ball and the problem was solve. Otherwise, BAttitude gave the same suggestion I would and thats to get a portable tank and run it to see if it happens. Also, I dont know if you have a water seperator, but if you do check and see if there is alot of water, that may be causing it. Your last resort is that you have an air leak somewhere in your line.

·
Registered
410 Posts
guys, i hope you don't mind me piggy backing my own question .
ive had no problems re: fuel but
ive never seen a filter (not in line) pre rigged 115 johnson (new)
is it internal ?
does it have one at all

·
Registered
148 Posts
I used to have a 130hp Yamaha and there was only one fuel filter on the motor itself. It should be a clear canister filter next to the carb. There might also be a filter right at the pick-up on the tank itself, but that depends on the manufacturer of the tank. Not all tanks have them. Any other filters would be "in-line" filters which you would be able to see if you follow the fuel lines.

Also, when you change the filters, dump them into a clear container so that you can see what kind of sediment comes out of the filter itself. If you have small black particals in the bottom of the filter, then most likely, you fuel lines are dry rotting. If it's brown, it's probably rust. If it's white, it could be corrosion from the tank (if you have an aluminum tank).

But before you do any of this, do like everyone else said and run the motor on a 6 gal. tank to make sure your problem is not with the motor itself. The air-fuel mixture might be off on the carb. causing it to run that way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem with my SeaOx and it turned out to be the pickup in the tank. I unscrewed from the inboard tank and bounced it off the deck a few times and what looked like a cigarette butt of sediment popped out. Boat ran fine until I tried to pull more fuel past the clog. The clog restricted flow and the engine labored for more fuel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had this problem also this year. After having the carbeurator rebuilt, fuel pump changed,ignition coil replaced. I ran the boat with a 6 gal can of gas, bypassinsg the fuel tank and the boat ran fine. I checked the pickup tube in the fuel tank, and inside the tube was a completely clogged filter. I simply took the filter out and left it out. The boat ran fantastic the entire season.
I guess it didn't hurt to invest the $500 in the additional investments i made considering the boat is 12 years old.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You might also consider the possibility of a bad bulb or an air leak. Bulbs can go bad in s aurprisingly short time. Air leaks can starve an engine of fuel, they get pulled open when the engine is running and make the engine run lean, then they can close when the engine is off, making it hard to find them. You could try cutting the last few inches off your hose and reattaching it if you have enough slack. If the hoses are more than 4 years old its probably time to replace them anyway. Running the engine from a 6 gallon tank as the earlier posts suggested would let you know if the problem might be in the bulb or the hose. Good luck.

Scratcher

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info...I spoke with a mechanic today who basically recommended everything you guys suggested. One thing he did say is that if I have sediment in the tank, it's a massive, labor intensive job to clean out. They basically have to open the deck to get to the tank in order to steam clean the tank. Has anyone every had that work done and what kind of cost am I looking at? I have a 30 gal plastic tank under the center console. I'm hoping its just a fuel line problem.

MC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.