NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
This is a special announcement for all Surfcasters / Extreme Fishermen...

This coming Friday (only), February 15 starting at 6PM- 7:15, at the Freeport Show? Montauk?s Surf guru Atilla Ozturk is hosting an Extreme Surf Fishing Techniques? seminar. Also, there will be a special guest (Squishing Guru) that will be his sidekick!

It is very rare that you will find them together giving out their Montauk?s secrets. .. So come along and meet these pros and pick their brains. ;)

It?s going to be very informative and lots of fun!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Al, went to the seminar friday night,met Atilla and Guru Melnick, nice guys.

Believe me... There were no Montauk secrets given out. I found it interesting how they discussed handling a big fish while swiming upside down but other than that it was Surfcasting 101.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Incognito wrote,
Hey Al, went to the seminar friday night,met Atilla and Guru Melnick, nice guys.

Believe me... There were no Montauk secrets given out. I found it interesting how they discussed handling a big fish while swiming upside down but other than that it was Surfcasting 101.

Yes, Atilla and Paul are very nice guys and they covered as much about Extreme surfishing within the hour! Do you "squish" or do any "extreme" fishing?

Since you thought they were nice guys (everyone thought so too and enjoyed the show)... why didn't you ask your questions during the Q&A period or in between sessions like everyone else? Everyone else took the opportunity and picked their brains. ;)

Just curious... What were you expecting and what did you wanted to know? Maybe I could assist you ?or- I could simply call them to answer your questions.

Let me know.

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't get me wrong, the seminar was interesting but I felt that the majority of the hour was spent much too much on basic equipment, a lot of emphasis on safety, which is a good thing...I guess..and not enough on technique.
I don't "squish" or extreme fish and although I've taken many a risk while surf fishing like, wading out to a rock or sand bar or fishing an inlet jetty during dangerous conditions, I don't feel that I'll get into that form of fishing but I was interested in some of the methods involved, lures, bucktailing and eeling during different stages of the tide while basically floating in the surf.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Incognito Wrote:
?I don't "squish" or extreme fish and although I've taken many a risk while surf fishing like, wading out to a rock or sand bar or fishing an inlet jetty during dangerous conditions, I don't feel that I'll get into that form of fishing but I was interested in some of the methods involved, lures, bucktailing and eeling during different stages of the tide while basically floating in the surf.

Hello Incognito,

I understand your point? but I am also glad that they put a lot of emphasis on the safety issues?because ?Extreme Fishing? is not for everybody? and it?s a dangerous proposition if you don?t know what you are doing out there!

OK? Let?s get down to the Montauk nitty gritty. First of all? there are no secret spots at Montauk! It?s just a matter of finding the bait and working the structure hard. However, there are some general rules during specific tides and wind conditions that you ought to know.

At any given ?NE? wind? you should concentrate under the lights! In fact, the harder the better! This is the area where the wind pushes all the bait from Pollock and Porgy Rips into the lighthouse. Generally? it is traditionally good to use 1 ½ to 2 Ounce white bucktail tipped with a pork rind or plastic trailer. At occasional times? An all green or chartreuse (local calls it tourist colors) will full the big girls. In fact, the local tournament fish was culled with an all green bucktail. During a night feed? the same bucktail will work.. And it is not uncommon to see a local using the heaviest darter they can find and toss it as far as possible. Sure you could use other offerings? but you can?t go wrong with those two lures?but there is another lure you should try during the first or last light? and that is the popper! Simply cast as far out as possible and start chugging along the surface? ;)

If the wind is screaming ?EAST? for a few hours or so, the place to be is Shagwong! But whatever you do? it?s not the common 4x4 permit! You MUST have your South Hampton permit - otherwise you will have a funny looking paper sticking under your windshield wiper? and believe me, they check! Along the entire Shag stretch you can find the biggest cows working near the breakers. This place is historic for the biggest bass? and the key offering is either bucktail, darters or eels!

Other productive spots are the stepping stones, Clarks, Scotts, Evan?s rock, Turtle Cove, Browns, Kings, etc? It?s just a matter of working the beaches? following the bait pattern and also scouting for active birds.

All in all? find deep moving waters, bait, structure and ambush spots? Montauk is the place to fish but like everywhere else? you got to use your hunting-for?big-fish skills. Otherwise that big black animal with a white stripes will be following you! ;)

This is a little more than a general information you are getting and I hope I did not upset any local fishers.

Think Safety and Good fishing!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Crazy-Al, Thanks for the valuable information on fishing Montauk. You're right, it is a dangerous proposition when you extreme fish and safety can't be emphasized enough. I think that if someone is going to get into the sport they should at least start out with a buddy, who's as strong a swimmer as you are, should something go wrong.

I've fished Montauk for many years and what I've noticed in the past few years is more and more novice fisherman getting into a wet suit and swiming out to weakfish rock with some eels because they heard that that's the only way to catch that elusive 50 pounder.
I have nothing against wet suiters, so long as they know what the're doing and are considerate to
other fisherman around them, as all fisherman should be. My problem is that lots of these guys haven't even learned to fish from shore yet but because the're wearing a wet suit that entitles them to close out a whole area to other fisherman.

Anyway... I don't want to get off on a rant but Montauk is a very demanding place to fish and consideration should be given to all, especially in the fall when the fishing gets shoulder to shoulder.

I agree that traditionally bucktails is the way to go out there but I rarely fish a bucktail heavier than ounce and a half, although that depends on the water conditions. And your right, you can't go wrong with a large darter. I especially like Beachmasters in the 3oz. size or the, can't miss, Super Strike darter, yellow being my favorite color.
Poppers are one of my favorite lures to use and I've caught many a lone striper at first light or sun set with a popper. Although blue and white are more commonly used I like to throw a chartreuse or rootbeer color at those times.
Well... Thanks again for your input, can't wait for next season, Hope to see you on the beach.

tight lines...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.