NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,,,to all the old skool surfcasters,,,please help? For x-mas my mom hooked me up with my first surfcasting rod/reel...a beautiful 9 ft w/ a penn 5500. I love it...however, i think she was misdirected to the freshwater lure section on her quest. She also bought me a whole lot of rapala risto rap #9s. I know she meant well and couldnt dare tell her I've never fished freshwater in my life. My question is,,,,will they harm my plants if used for fertilizer?? no seriously any ideas??? thanks so much

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
A lot of freshwater lures work well in the salt. Afterall, rubber worms were first used in freshwater before being tried on weaks and bass.

The lure you mention probably will take school bass and ****tail blues. Not sure how well it will cast though. And the saltwater will probably rust out the hardware in no time.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dynamite info....thanx for the response guys! will most definately consider changing the hooks...i was just concerned with the size of the lip....those bad boys look like they can dive....and from my minimal experience, the L.I. sound seems shallower than the depth a plug like that would run...but again,,,thanks for the info,,greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Long Island Sound isn't that shallow. Boaters use Storm's "Big Mac" (Silver Sides, B;ue Back) as a trolling lure. With 15# test mono it gets down to 20 feet.

Many "Freshwater" lures work well in the Bay. Zara Spooks, Rattlin Chug Bugs, even Norman's "ZZ Top" work VERY well. I let the hardware rust and THEN change it.

If you tell Mom what a great choice the rod and reel were, she won't mind a bit if you exchange some plugs. Most stores will accept their merchandise for credit without a receipt. All you need to know is where they came from.

Flounder

·
Registered
11,588 Posts

I've never had a breakage problem with the AR on an SS reel. Sometimes it does get gunky under the rotor cap and the AR doesn't engage. But I haven't had one break.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
jaiem,

The 5500ss is a decent reel, supposedly the last year they havfe been making them with an updated anti-rverse. The older one is horrible. I tried using the rell with 14# fireline and the anti revers broke 5 times in 2 months. The cost to have the shops fix it was almost as much as I paid for the reel. Never again will I abandon my 710z reels. Don't buy a slammer until they are proven by experienced surfcasters. For that kinda money you already got two ticas and maybe a spool of braid!!!!!

JC

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey bobby, does your mom shop in the boston area by any chance? Risto raps have been on sale at mvp/decathalon in medford for $1.00 each. I bought 5. They do dive deep with good action, and it is as simple as switching the hook as basshole recommended. They work well for sanddabs and fluke in shallower water it you plough the sand with them. Even little ones cant resist something digging, ive got some tiny fish that way. Nothing wrong with freshwater tackle but the hook corrosion and that the baits generally catch smaller fish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.