NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
grouse,

White Perch are all over the lower hudson area. Feeder rivers and streams hold Bass and other freshwater species. Eosohpus (sp?) Creek, Croton River and other inlets offer superurb fishing.

I dare ya to eat one of those white cats..Eeeeeeeeee :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok get this one... i work for the city.. and one day i was strolling along the waterfront , right by the trade towers.. i looked into the water.. and there was a huge catfish.. (bullhead?) it looked to be about 4 pounds .. but htere it was swimming slowly along the surface... my eyes were bugging out, because at that point the water is almost 100 % saline.. weird stuff huh?.. hey about the white perch in the hudson.. do they go after topwater flies? or is it a deep fishing thing.. i love to catch them in may one ponds when they school up pods of minnows.. ahh spring.. just round the corner,,,

·
Registered
199 Posts
The catfish that you saw is a White catfish. They are in the Hudson year round. They are up near the Tappan Zee, and come down the river to spawn in the spring. I don't know about on the NY side of the river, but over here on the Jersey side, they are very popular to fish for every spring. They are caught all the way down to the GW bridge, so I'm sure that seeing (and catching) them down near NY bay isn't that uncommon. I wouldn't eat them, or anything else out of the river for that matter, but I know of alot of people that eat them, and they aren't Radioactive (YET!!!)...lol.
The funny thing is, most people wouldn't eat any fish out of the river, but yet they would eat a striper that they catch in the bay or even down further. They don't figure that same fish might be one that lives in the Hudson during the winter. As far as the white perch, I've only seen them caught on the bottom, mostly on sandworms. You might be able to catch them on flies though. Who knows?
~tight lines~

~spinfreak~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.