NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in getting started in fresh water fishing.I need info on licensing,open seasons for fishing,and if possible,locations on eastern Long Island where fishing is legal.Thanks for all info.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
You need to check DEC regs as fish go in and out of season, but if you catch and release or target pan fish, then the Peconic is pretty good, and so are the ponds at it's source. Check a map for Swan Pond, usually pretty good perch action and should be frozen over for ice fishing soon. Laurel Lake further east is legal for trout all year, as are the tidal portions of Nessiquogue,Carmens and Connectquot. Catch and release bass fishing at almost any pond, but you can't "target" them between March and 1st Sat in June. If you are not keeping any I don't know how they define targeting, maybe if you are with Jimmy Houston and a TV crew they might nail you. No DEC officer ever bothered me about fishing in "bassy" ponds in off season, but I don't keep any fresh water fish except trout from the parks which are stocked, I figure I am buying those fish anyway.
Grab a map of Suffolk, almost every little pond holds some fish. Many can be fished from shore, but a small tin boat,kayak or canoe will open up a lot more areas. Rapalas and small shiny tins work on most fish, I like the floating Rapalas because they give you a chance to float over weed patches, not so much a problem in cold months.

Striper77

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Just be careful at some of the ponds in South Hampton. If you are not a resident of the town you have to be fishing with a town guide. Wildwood lake is one that I know of.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.